This Caprese Chicken Sandwich features a toasted roll filled with the most flavorful Caprese chicken salad. A slathering of pesto mayo brings all of the flavors together. Serve with chips or salad for delicious lunch or dinner.
Chicken Caprese Sandwich with Pesto
If you love the flavors of Caprese salad, you will love this Caprese Chicken Sandwich. It's full of classic flavors paired with a tangy pesto spread.
The chicken is cut into bite-sized pieces, then tossed with tomatoes, mozzarella, and pesto to create a chicken salad mixture. This mixture is then piled into warm, toasted rolls slathered with pesto mayo.
♦Did you know?
Caprese salad originated in Italy on the Isle of Capri during the 1950s. Caprese salad means "Salad of Capri" and traditionally contains cow's milk mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, and olive oil.
- Chicken - I love boneless, skinless chicken breast for this recipe. If you have leftover or rotisserie chicken on hand, this easy recipe will be even easier.
- Fresh mozzarella adds a wonderful creaminess to the sandwich. Plain or marinated pearl-sized mozzarella works great. If you have a large ball of fresh mozzarella, cut it into bite-sized pieces.
- Pesto packs a punch of flavor into this sandwich. Store-bought pesto adds more convenience to this dish, or try homemade pesto if you have a little extra time.
- Tomatoes - Halved grape or cherry tomatoes are sweet and perfectly bite-sized.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- If you are starting with uncooked chicken, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Season the chicken and bake for 10-20 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes before dicing into bite-sized pieces.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella to a bowl. Add pesto and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and pesto.
- Toast the rolls and spread the pesto mayo on the inside.
- Pile the chicken mixture into the rolls. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
Caprese chicken sandwiches are a delicious way to change up your weekday lunch. They are also hearty enough to be served for dinner. Serve with chips, roasted potatoes, veggie salad, fruit salad, or pasta salad.
Sheet pan | Parchment paper | Thermometer | Measuring cups and spoons | Mixing bowl
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Caprese Chicken Sandwich
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (or 1-1¼ cups cubed cooked chicken)
- salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder (for seasoning the chicken)
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- ¾ cup pearl-sized fresh mozzarella balls
- 5 tablespoons basil pesto (divided)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 4 hoagie rolls
- fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. Place the chicken on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-20 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees. Let rest for 5 minutes before cutting the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cubed chicken, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Toss with 2 tablespoons of pesto.
- Toast the rolls. Meanwhile, mix together the mayonnaise and the remaining pesto. Spread this mixture on the inside of the rolls.
- Fill the rolls with the chicken mixture. Garnish with fresh basil.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Leave a Comment