Caprese Chicken Sandwich - these toasted sandwich rolls are filled with juicy chicken, fresh basil, tomatoes, and mozzarella. A slathering of pesto mayo brings all of the flavors together. Serve with chips or salad for delicious lunch or dinner.
Why you will love this sandwich
If you love the flavors of caprese, you will love this Caprese Chicken Sandwich. It is full of bold flavors and comes together easily with fresh ingredients. The chicken cooks in less than 15 minutes or you can use leftover chicken for added convenience. The rolls are spread with a pesto-mayonnaise mixture that brings all of the flavors together. I love using marinated mozzarella in this sandwich, but you can also use sliced fresh mozzarella as a shortcut. These sandwiches come together in 30 minutes and are full of fresh, savory flavor.
This Caprese chicken sandwich is made with staple ingredients but the flavors are fresh and amazing.
Chicken - I used boneless, skinless chicken breast. Using leftover chicken is a great option.
Mozzarella - fresh mozzarella is traditional in Caprese dishes, and I love its creaminess. I added these mini marinated mozzarella balls (made with pearl-size mozzarella), but sliced fresh mozzarella works great too.
Pesto mayo - this simple blend is anything but simple in flavor and it works beautifully with the flavors of this sandwich. Try my pepita basil pesto or use what you have on hand. Store-bought works fine too. This mixture is used to dress the rolls before layering on the rest of the ingredients. Depending on the size of the rolls, you may have extra pesto mayo. Save it to spread on other sandwiches or use it as a dip for french fries. It's SO GOOD!
Fresh tomatoes and basil - classic Caprese ingredients. You can use any tomato variety you prefer. Don't skimp on using fresh basil - it adds tremendous flavor.
Sandwich rolls - I used hoagie rolls that I sliced ¾ of the way through in order to cradle the ingredients.
How to make
Season boneless, skinless chicken with salt and pepper. In an oven-proof skillet set over medium heat, sear for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven (preheated to 375 degrees) and cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees, approx. 6-8 minutes. An instant-read thermometer is a perfect tool for checking doneness. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Stir together the pesto and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
If using marinated mozzarella balls, allow the mozzarella balls to marinate for at least 30 minutes before making the sandwiches. Alternatively, you can use slices of fresh mozzarella.
Toast the sandwich rolls. Spread both sides of the roll with the pesto-mayo mixture.
Layer the rolls with basil, chicken, mozzarella, and tomatoes.
Caprese chicken sandwiches are a delicious way to change up your weekday lunch. They are also hearty enough to be served for dinner. Serve with chips, veggie salad, or pasta salad.
Side dishes for serving
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- Garden Salad with Balsamic Mustard Dressing
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
Caprese Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- ⅓ cup grape tomatoes halved
- ⅓ cup marinated mozzarella balls or 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 2 hoagie rolls
- fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper for seasoning chicken
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In an oven-proof skillet set over medium heat, sear for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven (preheated to 375 degrees) and cook until the internal temperature is 165 degrees, approx. 6-8 minutes. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and the pesto. Set aside.
- Toast the sandwich rolls. Spread both sides of the roll with the pesto-mayo mixture. Layer with basil, chicken, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Serve.