Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze is a summer staple full of fresh ingredients and flavors. Serve as a main or side dish, for brunch or lunch.
Caprese Salad is one of my favorite summertime salads. It's so easy to pull together. The flavors are fresh and the colors are vibrant. With only four ingredients, it's important for each ingredient to pack a punch.
- cherry or grape tomatoes - garden fresh, sweet, and colorful
- basil - fragrant and fresh
- mozzarella - creamy and delicious
- balsamic glaze - sweet yet acidic
What is balsamic glaze?
Balsamic glaze is balsamic vinegar that has been simmered until it is reduced by half and becomes more syrup-like in consistency. Balsamic glaze can be found in most supermarkets, but you can easily make your own at home.
To make the glaze, add balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan, bring to a gentle boil, reduce heat, and simmer for approx. 10 minutes until reduced by half. The longer the vinegar is simmered, the thicker it will become. Sometimes balsamic glazes have sugar added to the vinegar, but I find that balsamic vinegar is sweet enough on its own.
There are many different types of balsamic vinegar. Some have a deeper flavor or are more acidic, and some are sweeter. You may need to try several before finding one you really like. This balsamic vinegar is my favorite. It has a deep, yet sweet flavor.
This salad works wonderfully as a light lunch or as a side dish, as a brunch item or for a picnic. The red, white, and green palette is so colorful - it's a beautiful addition to any table.
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
- Corn Panzanella Salad with Garlic Toast Croutons
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar ((for glaze))
- 1.5 pounds cherry or grape tomatoes (mixed variety)
- ⅔ cup fresh mozzarella pearls ((small balls))
- 18-20 basil leaves
- Add the balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan. Heat to a gentle boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes to a serving platter or bowl, cutting the larger ones in half. Add the fresh mozzarella and basil. Toss to combine. Drizzle with the cooled balsamic glaze.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.