BLT Pasta Salad pairs classic BLT flavors with pasta and a creamy dressing. This salad is perfect for summer – for lunch or dinner, alone or as a side dish.
As a kid, I was never much for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Don’t get me wrong – I like peanut butter and jelly, but I never craved them together in sandwich form. Instead, I loved Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches. I remember going out for lunch and ordering turkey club sandwiches because they were like supersized BLT’s – with the addition of turkey.
The flavors of a BLT are so classic. Smoky bacon, crisp lettuce, and juicy tomatoes. But a BLT is not a BLT without a slathering of mayo. That makes the sandwich! This BLT Pasta Salad with a delicious creamy dressing is a nod to this childhood memory.
Tips for making BLT Pasta Salad
- Pasta – I like wagon wheel pasta for this salad, but any fun shape works just fine.
- Bacon – Thick-cut bacon provides a meaty bite in this salad. If using regular-cut bacon, chop into larger pieces.
- Tomatoes – Grape and cherry tomatoes cut in half provide a pretty presentation and are the perfect-sized bite.
- Lettuce – I like using the light green portion of romaine. It’s crisp and stays crisp in the salad.
- Dressing – this salad has a homemade creamy dressing. In a pinch, use your favorite bottled Ranch (or similar) dressing.
- Fresh thyme – I used fresh thyme in the dressing and as a garnish. Fresh basil would be delicious also. Herbs add freshness and an extra punch of flavor.
I always think of pasta salad as a summer staple, but they are versatile all year long. They are great for large gatherings and equally awesome to keep on hand for lunches during the week. I hope you try this recipe, and if you do, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More pasta salad recipes
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Tortellini Antipasto Salad
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Muffuletta Pasta Salad
The classic flavors of a BLT combined with pasta and a creamy dressing. The perfect summer salad for lunch, dinner, potlucks, or BBQ's.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed, plus extra for garnish
- 1 pound pasta, wagon wheels
- 1 pound bacon, thick cut
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups romaine lettuce, inner light green leaves, chopped
- salt and white pepper to taste
In a small bowl or mason jar, combine all of the dressing ingredients. Whisk or shake until well blended. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Set aside.
Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
Chop the bacon and cook in a heavy-bottomed pan until browned. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the pasta, bacon, tomatoes, and lettuce. Add the dressing and gently toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Garnish with fresh thyme. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Keeps well for 2-3 days.