Muffuletta Pasta Salad – this pasta salad is loaded with flavors of a Muffuletta sandwich. Serve this salad as a meal by itself or alongside grilled chicken or burgers. Perfect for picnics, potlucks, or lunches during the week.
Have you ever had a Muffuletta sandwich? It’s an Italian-inspired sandwich popular in New Orleans. It’s typically made on a round loaf of bread which is also called “muffuletta”. The bread is layered with an olive spread and various meats and cheeses.
So, for this salad, I’m combining pasta with my favorite Muffuletta flavors. It’s hearty enough to be a meal by itself. I also love serving this alongside burgers or grilled chicken. Pasta salads are always ideal for picnics and potlucks, too.
This salad does involve a bit of slicing and dicing, but none of the steps are difficult. Start the pasta cooking and get chopping! I like to sample the ingredients as I go – taste testing is the best part!
You can customize these ingredients based on personal preference.
- Green olives – I like using Castelveltrano olives. They are buttery and delicious!
- Mortadella and provolone are traditional in muffuletta and are also great options.
- Giardiniera (marinated vegetables) is a delicious addition too.
- Pasta – I’m using fusilli in this salad, but you can add your favorite pasta shape. Rotini, orecchiette, or farfalle are also fun options.
This is a simple vinaigrette. Simply add the ingredients to a mason jar and shake to combine.
- red wine vinegar
- grapeseed or olive oil
- salt and pepper
- This salad is wonderful to make ahead of time. The ingredients will marinate in the dressing and all of the flavors will blend.
- I add only a small amount of salt because the salami and the olives have plenty of salt already.
- This salad keeps well, so it’s perfect for meal prepping on the weekend and enjoying throughout the week.
- Save the extra dressing to add to the salad after it has been refrigerated.
- Don’t skip the parsley. It adds a nice freshness to the salad.
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. Post a picture to Instagram and tag me @mycasualpantry and use hashtag #mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More pasta salad recipes to try
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Summer Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Tortellini Antipasto Salad
This pasta salad is loaded with flavors of a Muffuletta sandwich. Serve this salad as a meal by itself or alongside grilled chicken or burgers. Perfect for picnics, potlucks, or lunches during the week.
- 16 ounces fusilli pasta or your favorite shape
- 8 ounces ham cubed
- 8 ounces salami cubed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese cubed
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese cubed
- 4 ounces green olives like Castelvetrano, halved
- 4 ounces black olives halved
- 4 ounces pepperoncini sliced
- 4 ounces pimientos chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup Grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Bring a large pot of salted water (use 2 teaspoons salt per pound of pasta) to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
Meanwhile, cube the salami, ham, cheddar, and swiss cheese. Halve the olives. Slice the pepperoncini and chop the pimientos, celery, and parsley.
Add the pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining salad ingredients.
In a mason jar, combine the red wine vinegar, oil, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Shake well. Add half of the dressing to the salad ingredients. Toss to coat. Add more dressing if needed. Save remaining dressing to add to the salad after refrigerating.
Store in an airtight container. Salad will keep well for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.