Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad - a delicious combination of chicken caesar salad and pasta salad. Crisp romaine, grilled chicken, and pasta are tossed together in a creamy homemade caesar dressing. Perfect for lunch or dinner or your next cookout.
This pasta salad is a delicious mash-up of chicken caesar and pasta salad. Caesar is one of my all-time favorite salads, so I was excited about creating this variation.
Pasta salads are perfect as summer lunches or barbecue side dishes, but this version is hearty enough to steal the show as the main dish. This combination of lettuce, chicken, and pasta tossed in a creamy homemade caesar dressing is destined to become a family favorite.
- romaine lettuce - romaine is classic in a caesar salad. It's crisp and holds up well when tossed with the dressing.
- chicken - Leftover chicken is perfect for this recipe. Just slice or chop then add to the other ingredients. Rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut too.
- pasta - Orecchiette pasta is shaped like little ears, which hold little puddles of the dressing. Rotini, penne, fusilli, or farfalle are also great options.
- homemade Caesar dressing - so easy and incredibly delicious!
- croutons - homemade and store-bought are both fine.
- parmesan shavings for garnish
Homemade Caesar dressing
- mayonnaise - Traditional Caesar has egg yolks, but I prefer to skip the raw eggs and use mayo for a creamy base.
- coarse ground mustard is my favorite, but Dijon mustard is traditional and is certainly a great option.
- anchovy paste - I know you may be apprehensive about anchovies, but they do not taste fishy. Rather, they add a rich, salty note to the dressing. (Anchovies are wonderful added to sauces, too!) Anchovy paste can be found at your local supermarket near the tomato paste. If you can't find the paste, you can use anchovies in the can. Mince 3-4 fillets before adding to the dressing.
- Worcestershire sauce
- lemon juice - fresh is best!
- shredded parmesan cheese
Simply add the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend. This homemade dressing couldn't be easier!
Caesar salad is best eaten the same day, but most of the ingredients can be prepped ahead of time.
- Wash and dry the romaine, wrap in paper towels, and store in a plastic bag for up to a week. Wait to chop the romaine until you are ready to assemble the salad.
- Grill or bake the chicken breasts and store for 3-4 days until ready to use. Shortcut: use a rotisserie chicken.
- Blend up the dressing and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Thanks for sharing!
This recipe comes together easily and is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below and post a photo on Instagram. Tag me @mycasualpantry and use hashtag #mycasualpantry.
More salads perfect for summer
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Summer Pasta Salad
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Zesty Italian Pasta Salad
- Halloumi BLT Salad
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 2 hearts of romaine chopped
- 2 cooked chicken breasts cubed or sliced
- 1 cup croutons plus extra for garnish
- parmesan shavings for garnish
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground mustard or dijon
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 medium lemon)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (salt the water with 2 teaspoons of salt). Add the orecchiette and cook according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. To the bowl of a food processor (or small blender), add the mayonnaise, mustard, anchovy paste, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and parmesan cheese. Process until smooth and combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped romaine, chopped chicken, pasta, and croutons. Pour the dressing over the top and toss to evenly coat the ingredients. Garnish with extra croutons, parmesan shavings, and freshly ground black pepper.