Greek Lemon Orzo Salad is a quick and easy side dish filled with fresh veggies, feta cheese, and a lemon-Dijon dressing. This twenty-minute salad is perfect for potlucks and barbecues. Serve with grilled meat, sandwiches, or as a light lunch.
You will love this
- Bright, fresh flavor - Greek orzo salad pairs hearty orzo with fresh veggies and a zingy dressing. The salad taste light and fresh with so much bright flavor. It can be eaten at room temperature so it's ideal for summer potlucks or barbecues.
- Quick and easy to prepare - All you need is 20 minutes to prepare this salad. You can pull together the rest of the ingredients while the orzo cooks.
- If you love this easy pasta salad, try BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing, Summer Pasta Salad, and Caprese Pasta Salad.
- Tomatoes - I love using grape (or cherry) tomatoes for their small size. A variety adds vibrant colors to the salad.
- Cucumbers - Add a fresh crisp crunch to this salad. I love using mini cucumbers, but larger seedless cucumbers are fine too.
- Red onions - Slice the onions very thin so their sharp bite is not overpowering.
- Olives - Add kalamata or regular black olives.
- Feta cheese - Greek, sheep's milk feta is my absolute favorite feta cheese. Feel free to use the variety you love or what is readily available at your local supermarket. PRO TIP: Buy a whole block of feta cheese and crumble it when you make the salad. Whole blocks of feta are fresher tasting than the cheese that comes already crumbled.
The dressing for this greek lemon orzo salad is extremely simple but vibrant in bright flavor. Fresh lemon juice adds an acidic punch, which pairs well with the rich feta. Mustard and agave (or honey) provide tang and sweetness. If you prefer a slightly less tart dressing, whisk in 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil.
How to make
- Cook the orzo according to package directions. Drain, rinse and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the veggies, olives, and cheese to the bowl and gently toss to combine, being careful to not break apart the feta.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Gently toss.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate to allow the flavors to blend. The orzo will absorb the dressing flavors as it sits.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Orzo is pasta that is shaped like grains of rice. It's a wonderful addition to any type of pasta salad. Greek orzo salad is made with ingredients typically found in greek salads - cucumbers, tomatoes, onion, olives, and feta cheese.
Orzo salad works beautifully as a side dish or by itself as a light lunch. Serve with grilled chicken, Walnut Crusted Chicken, Spiced Pork Tenderloin, Triple Decker Turkey Club Sandwich, and Foot-long Deli Sandwich.
When orzo (or any pasta) is being used in a cold salad, it should be rinsed. Cook, drain and rinse the orzo before adding it to the salad.
Craving more? Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to receive recipes directly in your inbox.
Greek Lemon Orzo Salad
- 6 ounces orzo
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 3 mini cucumbers halved lengthwise and sliced (or ½ large cucumber)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup black olives halved
- 6 ounces feta cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup lemon juice approx. 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons deli-style mustard or Dijon
- 2 tablespoons agave or honey
- salt to taste
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain, rinse and add to mixing bowl.
- Add tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives, and feta cheese. Toss together gently, being careful not to break apart the feta.
- For the dressing, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard and agave. Season to taste with salt. Pour over the salad and toss gently.
- Refrigerate to allow flavors to blend. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- I recommend buying feta in block form and crumbling it when making the salad. Block feta is fresher tasting than feta that comes already crumbled.
- For a slightly less tart dressing, whisk in 2 tablespoons of neutral oil, such as grapeseed.
Author's note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been updated.