Creamy Cucumber Salad – this fresh salad has a tangy dressing tossed with cucumbers and red onion. Simple, yet full of flavor. The perfect side dish for picnics, cookouts, or weeknight meals.
This fresh cucumber salad is giving me summer vibes right now. I love the crisp cucumbers, the bite of the red onion, and the tangy dressing. An incredible combination.
Summer salads are supposed to be easy. Fuss-free. And this one doesn’t get any easier. The veggies are crisp and fresh and the dressing… oh that dressing. It’s tangy and creamy with the slightest hint of sweetness. It’s really the perfect summer dressing. Make sure to save the extra dressing – it’s delicious on a green salad.
This salad comes together with ingredients that are likely in your pantry and fridge already.
- English (seedless) cucumbers
- red onion
- sour cream
- apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
Cucumber salad tips
- I love English cucumbers in this salad. English cucumbers are long, skinny cucumbers and are also known as seedless cucumbers. They are not waxed but rather typically come wrapped in plastic. The skin is more tender and is totally edible.
- I like to peel alternating strips for a pretty striped effect, but English cucumbers don’t have to be peeled. If you use a traditional cucumber, the skin should be peeled.
- Thinly slice the cucumbers and onion – approx. 1/8 inch. I like using a mandoline for this. It’s a quick and easy way to get uniform slices. Just watch your fingers… mandolines are very sharp. A good, old-fashioned knife works just fine too.
- The tangy dressing is a combination of sour cream, mayo, apple cider vinegar, and a touch of sugar. Reserve the extra dressing to use on other salads or as a veggie dip.
- Add salt and pepper for seasoning. I prefer white pepper so the black specks don’t show in the creamy dressing.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley. I love the flavor punch of cilantro.
Serve creamy cucumber salad with:
More summer salads to try
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- Greek Chickpea Salad
A fresh and crisp salad of cucumbers and onion tossed in a tangy, creamy dressing.
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
Trim the ends off of the cucumber. Peel alternating strips for a visual pop if desired. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, cut the cucumbers into 1/8 inch slices. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
Slice the red onion into thin slices using the mandoline or sharp knife. Add to the bowl with the cucumbers. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Start by pouring 1/2 of the dressing over the cucumbers and onion. Gently toss to coat the vegetables with the dressing. Add extra dressing if desired. (Reserve extra dressing to use on other salads).
Store the cucumber salad in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.