Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders are the most delicious bites of chicken with a slightly sweet coating of crushed cereal.
Years ago my daughter discovered the most delicious chicken tenders at a local restaurant. They were coated with slightly sweet cereal and had the most incredible crunch and flavor. Chicken and cereal may sound like a crazy combination, but what about chicken and waffles? Maybe not so crazy, after all!
So I set out to recreate this chicken at home. Perfectly slightly sweet, perfectly crunchy. Perfect as a main dish. Even better as a game-day snack.
How to Make Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders
- Cap’n Crunch cereal – this cereal is the key to the sweet, crunchy coating. The cereal is sweet – but not too much so – and provides great texture and crunch.
- Season the flour – the addition of onion and garlic powder, salt and pepper provides extra flavor and also helps to balance the sweetness of the cereal.
- Two-step cooking process – for the ultimate crunch, use a two-step cooking method. First, brown the chicken in a skillet. Second, finish cooking the chicken in the oven. Place the chicken on a sheet pan fitted with a baking rack. The rack allows the heat to circulate around the chicken which helps to develop a crunchy coating.
How to serve Cap’n Crunch chicken tenders
- The best way to serve these tenders is straight up with your favorite dipping sauce. Maybe it’s honey mustard (my go-to) or BBQ, ketchup, or ranch. Anything is acceptable – as long as it’s your favorite!
- Serve these tenders for dinner with a side of fries or a baked potato and a salad. A great weeknight meal option.
- Did someone say “chicken and waffles”? Absolutely – top fluffy waffles with this chicken and a healthy drizzle of maple syrup. YUM!
- Make a double batch and serve family-style with a variety of dipping sauces. The perfect game day snack!
These Cap’n Crunch chicken tenders are so deliciously crunchy and perfectly slightly sweet. This recipe is a must-try! If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More chicken recipes you may enjoy
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Chicken with Cordon Bleu Sauce
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Sheet Pan Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
Tender pieces of chicken coated with a slightly sweet cereal crunch.
- 3 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders (or boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt to season cooked chicken
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Add the cereal to a large zipper-top bag. Using a rolling pin or heavy-bottomed pan, crush the cereal until it resembles coarse crumbs. Pour into a shallow dish and set aside.
To a second shallow dish, add the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
In a third shallow dish, whisk together the egg and water. Set aside.
Bread the chicken: dip each piece of chicken in the flour, turning to coat. Then dip in the egg mixture, turning to coat. Then toss the chicken in the crushed cereal until well coated.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and butter. Add the pieces of chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side until browned. Transfer the chicken to a sheet pan fitted with a baking rack. Bake the chicken for 10-12 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees.
Season with salt and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.