Garden Salad with Balsamic Mustard Dressing is as fresh as it is easy to prepare. Perfect as a side salad alongside lunch or dinner.
We eat a salad with dinner every night, and this garden salad is a favorite in our house. This salad is full of fresh greens and veggies, and I serve it with tangy homemade balsamic dressing.
This salad is made with ingredients that are readily available and are likely things you have on hand.
For the garden salad:
- spring mix
- red onion
- red and green bell peppers
For the balsamic dressing:
- balsamic vinegar
- grapeseed oil (or similar)
- coarse ground mustard (or Dijon)
- salt and pepper
This salad isn't fussy. Just toss together the ingredients, shake up the dressing, and serve. While your dinner roasts in the oven or cooks on the grill, you can prepare this salad in just a few minutes.
Variety is the spice of life
Salads are extremely versatile which keeps your salad routine from becoming dull. Use a variety of greens, swap in different veggies, or add various toppings. Salads are great as side dishes but can also be satisfying meals by themselves. Try changing up your salad game with any of these:
- Lettuce - romaine, spring mix, arugula, or spinach
- Veggies - onions, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes
- Cheese - blue cheese, gorgonzola, goat cheese, cheddar, feta
- Toppings - croutons, fried onion strings, tortilla strips
- Nuts - pecans, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds
- Add-ins - grilled chicken, shrimp, salmon, or steak
How to store
Salad is best eaten fresh, but if you need to make it ahead of time, there are ways to keep it fresh.
- After washing lettuce, dry thoroughly before refrigerating in a zipper-top bag
- Store veggies like cucumbers and tomatoes separately so they don't make the lettuce soggy.
- Add cheese and toppings right before serving.
- Serve the dressing on the side so any leftover salad doesn't turn soggy.
Serve this salad with:
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Easy Baked Pizza Chicken
- Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders
- Asparagus, Leek and Brie Quiche
- Mushroom and Brie Quiche
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Mushrooms
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe please leave a comment and rating below. You can also post a picture on Instagram and tag me @mycasualpantry and use hashtag #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making.
More salad recipes to try
- Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Buffalo Cauliflower Salad
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Halloumi BLT Salad
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Corn, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Garden Salad with Balsamic Mustard Dressing
- 5 ounces spring mix or other greens
- 1 small carrot shredded
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 small green pepper sliced
- 1/2 small red pepper sliced
- 1 cup croutons
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or similar
- 2 teaspoons coarse ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the lettuce, carrots, onion, and peppers. Toss together. Top with croutons.
- In a mason jar, add the balsamic vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Shake well until well combined. Serve with the salad.