A tasty version of a classic, this Mexican Cobb salad pairs black beans, avocado, and cotija cheese with traditional Cobb salad ingredients.
I’ve always loved blue cheese – dressings, dips, anything with blue cheese. So, it’s natural then that I would like Cobb salads. They are loaded with so many tasty ingredients, just like this Mexican version. I love salads that have tons of toppings.
This salad has everything that we expect in a Cobb salad – blue cheese, chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs. But this salad has a Mexican twist with black beans, avocado, cotija cheese, and a flavorful dressing. The dressing has a sour cream base with salsa, lime juice, chili powder, and cumin. A perfect accompaniment to the flavors in this salad.
This salad comes together easily. The bacon and hard-boiled eggs can be prepped ahead of time. Cooked bacon and hard-boiled eggs are great to keep on hand for many different uses. Using leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken also eliminates cooking. So, making this salad is all about arranging the ingredients in a bowl. How easy is that?
If you are looking for a way to jazz up a ho-hum lunchtime routine, this Mexican Cobb salad will do the trick, and it’s delicious!
Mexican Cobb Salad
- 4 cups lettuce, chopped (like romaine)
- 1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded or cubed
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 4 tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese (or queso fresco)
- tortilla strips
- lime wedges for garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- juice from 1/2 lime
- splash of milk or cream
- Divide the lettuce between two salad bowls. Top each bowl with 1/2 of the remaining salad ingredients.
- For the dressing, combine the sour cream, salsa, chili powder, cumin, and lime juice in a small bowl. Stir to combine. Add a splash of milk or cream to thin, as needed.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad or serve on the side.