Chopped Dorito Taco Salad - seasoned taco meat, lettuce, crushed Doritos, and all the favorite taco toppings tossed together in a salad. The perfect way to change up taco night.
I love tacos... fish tacos, veggie tacos, chicken tacos - the varieties are endless. But as much as I love tacos, I love taco salads more. A taco salad is a perfect way to get all the flavors and textures in each and every bite. All of the components in this Chopped Dorito Taco Salad are bite-sized, so every fork-full is loaded with delicious taco-ness! (I don't think that's a word, but it conveys my sentiment!)
Chopped Dorito Taco Salad
This salad is easy to prepare and comes together fairly quickly. The prep work includes browning the taco meat and slicing and dicing the various toppings.
I used ground beef for the taco meat, but ground turkey or chicken can also be used. One of my favorite ingredients in this salad is the Nacho Cheese Doritos, which take the place of taco shells or tortilla chips. The Doritos add a great punch of cheesy flavor and crunch. I also prefer romaine lettuce for its crisp crunch.
My other favorite components in this salad include:
- small cherry tomatoes
- red onions
- black olives
- Mexican cheese blend
- garnishes like lime wedges, salsa, sour cream
Tips for serving Chopped Dorito Taco Salad
- I love to plate the salad in a large bowl with the ingredients grouped together. It's a stunning presentation and then the salad can be tossed together as it's served.
- Let the taco meat cool before building the salad if you are not serving it immediately.
- Add the crushed Doritos right before serving so the chips retain their crunchy texture.
- Serve lime wedges, salsa (or taco sauce), and sour cream on the side for dressing individual salads.
Chopped Dorito Taco Salad will transform your weekly taco night. Add your family's' favorite toppings and enjoy the best of tacos in a salad. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see what you are cooking.
More salads you may enjoy
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Cheeseburger Salad
- Buffalo Chicken Caesar Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
Chopped Dorito Taco Salad
- 1 ⅓ pounds ground beef
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ¾ cup water
- 7-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup small cherry tomatoes halved
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 1 - 1 ½ cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 2.25 ounces sliced black olives
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado diced and tossed in lime juice
- 1 cup crushed nacho cheese tortilla chips
- salsa or taco sauce for topping
- sour cream for topping
- lime wedges for topping
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain the excess fat. Add the taco seasoning and water, and stir to combine. Cook over medium-low heat for another 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the thinly sliced romaine. Top with the ground beef mixture, tomatoes, onions, scallions, olives, avocado, cheese, and cilantro. When ready to serve, add crushed nacho cheese tortilla chips and toss all ingredients to combine. Dress individual portions with salsa or taco sauce, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime juice. Serve extra nacho cheese chips on the side.