Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad pairs fresh veggies with a creamy tangy dressing. This is an easy make-ahead salad that feeds a crowd and keeps well for several days.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad is a favorite around my house. It's not only delicious, but it's make-ahead, feeds a crowd, and keeps wonderfully well in the refrigerator for several days. Made with just 5 ingredients and a 3-ingredient creamy dressing, this salad is easy to prepare.
The veggies are fresh and crisp. The bacon and cheese… well, let's just say I love bacon and cheese added to almost anything! The dressing is sweet and tangy. This combination is definitely a crowd-pleaser.
- red onion
- cheddar cheese
- Miracle Whip
- apple cider vinegar
How to prepare
- Start by cooking the bacon either in a skillet or in the oven. Chop and set aside.
- Cut the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets.
- Dice the red onion.
- Add the veggies, bacon, and shredded cheddar to a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the Miracle Whip, sugar, and vinegar.
- Pour over the salad and toss until well coated.
- Refrigerate the salad overnight.
- This salad is best prepared one day in advance. The broccoli and cauliflower will have time to soften slightly as they marinate in the dressing and all of the flavors will blend.
- Pre-shredded cheese works best in this recipe. I normally prefer using freshly shredded cheese in my recipes, but the anti-caking additives in pre-shredded cheese will prevent the cheese from clumping together in this salad. The cheese will distribute evenly when tossed with the other ingredients. The regular - not the finely shredded - is best.
- I love using thick-cut bacon in this salad. I like its meaty bite, but any variety is fine.
- Miracle Whip contributes wonderful tangy flavor to this dressing. While the Miracle Whip is delicious, mayonnaise can be substituted if you prefer.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Absolutely. This salad is best made a day or two ahead of time. The flavors will blend and the dressing will soften the broccoli and cauliflower slightly.
Do I have to pre-cook or blanch the broccoli and cauliflower?
No. The vegetables will soften slightly in the dressing as the salad marinates. The uncooked broccoli and cauliflower keep well for 5-6 days without getting mushy. They will soften but will still have a crisp bite to them.
If you wish to serve the salad the same day, the broccoli and cauliflower can be blanched for 30 seconds or so. Since the veggies will continue to soften in the dressing, I recommend eating the salad within 1-2 days.
Ways to serve
- Easter – this salad is delicious with ham and is a staple at our Easter dinners.
- Potlucks - this recipe makes a large batch, so it is a perfect potluck dish.
- Picnics or barbecues - wonderful with grilled chicken or alongside hamburgers and hot dogs.
- Buffets for parties - a nice change from potato salad and coleslaw.
- Meals for a family in need – because this salad keeps so well, it is an ideal option when bringing food to family or friends.
This easy, make-ahead salad is perfect for gatherings but is also ideal to prep and have on hand for the week. It's great for lunches or as a side dish for dinner. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
More salad recipes to try
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Harvest Salad with Arugula, Apples and Blue Cheese
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- Chickpea Antipasto Salad
- Seven Layer Salad
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Goat Cheese Croutons
Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- 2 pounds broccoli
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 pound bacon
- 8 ounces yellow cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 cups Miracle Whip
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Cook the bacon (either in a skillet or in the oven) until brown and crips. Chop and set aside.
- Cut broccoli and cauliflower into small florets. Add to a large mixing bowl.
- Dice red onion and add to broccoli and cauliflower along with the bacon and shredded cheese.
- For the dressing, combine Miracle Whip, sugar and vinegar in a separate bowl. Mix well to combine. Pour the dressing over the salad and fold together until the ingredients are well-coated.
- Refrigerate to allow flavors to blend. Salad will keep well in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Author's note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been completely updated.