Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad is light, fresh, and delicious. Shaved Brussels sprouts, kale, and red onions are tossed with a maple vinaigrette and garnished with dried cranberries and parmesan cheese.
I served this salad yesterday with our Christmas dinner and it was a hit with the family. So much so that I plan to make it again for New Years. This salad is so fresh and light which makes it a welcome addition to a holiday table full of otherwise rich food.
But this salad isn't just for the holidays. It's perfect for any time as an entree salad for lunch or a side salad on the dinner table. After all of the holiday indulgences, Brussels Sprouts and Kale salad is a lighter and healthier option to start the New Year.
Making the salad
Shaved Brussels sprouts are really delicious in this salad. Using a food processor with a slicing disk attachment or a mandolin, thinly shave the Brussels sprouts and the red onion. With a knife, thinly julienne the kale.
Then, drizzle with a vinaigrette of oil, cider vinegar, and maple syrup. Slightly sweet, this dressing pairs nicely with sprouts and kale. Dried cranberries provide a contrast of color and texture and shavings of parmesan provide a salty bite. This flavor combination is a winner.
If you love Brussels sprouts, you may also enjoy my Gnocchi and Brussels Sprouts with Sage Brown Butter.
Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 bunch kale
- ½ small red onion
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil (or similar)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Using a food processor or mandolin, thinly slice the Brussels sprouts and red onion. Set aside
- Remove the stem from the kale and thinly julienne the kale leaves. Arrange the kale and Brussels sprouts on a platter. Top with red onion, cranberries, and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a mason jar, add the oil, vinegar, maple syrup, and salt and pepper. Shake until well combined. Drizzle over salad. Serve and refrigerate leftovers.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.