Broccoli and Cheese Tart is a savory blend of broccoli, cheddar, and fresh thyme, baked up slab pie-style. This tart makes a delicious appetizer or a savory addition to brunch.
Broccoli and cheddar go together like peanut butter and jelly. So, it's really no surprise that most of my favorite broccoli recipes involve cheese.
This broccoli and cheese tart pairs this duo with a buttery pie crust. The result - is a savory, flaky, cheesy snack that makes a delicious appetizer or brunch item.
This tart is baked "slab style". I lined a small sheet pan with the pie dough and spread the broccoli-cheese mixture over the top. This tart is not a quiche - there aren't any eggs in this recipe. Just broccoli, lots of cheese, and seasonings.
This recipe calls for just a handful of ingredients - including a shortcut ingredient. Store-bought pie crust adds convenience to the preparation of this tart.
I often have frozen broccoli in my freezer, and I always have cheese in my fridge, so I can pull this together quickly.
- Pie crust - refrigerated store-bought crust adds great ease and convenience. If you have extra time, homemade pie crust is delicious too.
- Fresh thyme adds wonderful flavor and pairs so well with broccoli and cheddar. Don't have fresh? No problem, substitute approx. 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme.
- Frozen broccoli - thaw and drain well before combining the broccoli with the other filling ingredients. It's important to remove any excess moisture so the filling isn't soggy.
Can I use fresh broccoli?
Yes. If using fresh broccoli, blanch the broccoli before adding it to the filling mixture. Blanching will soften the broccoli slightly and help the broccoli to finish cooking when baked in the tart.
Blanching involves adding the broccoli to boiling water for 30-60 seconds, then immediately transferring it to a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking. Drain the broccoli well, making sure to remove any excess moisture. Then chop.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Drain the thawed broccoli in a colander.
- Cook the onions with butter in a skillet until softened. Add the fresh thyme leaves.
- Combine the onions, drained broccoli, and cheese in a mixing bowl.
- Press the pie crusts into a ¼ sheet pan, pressing the seams together and shaping the dough around the sides to form a crust.
- Add the broccoli mixture, spread evenly, and top with extra cheese.
- Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Rest for 5 minutes then slice and serve.
This broccoli cheese pie is delicious when served warm or at room temperature.
- Appetizer - cut into squares, large or small
- Brunch - makes a savory addition to a weekend buffet
- Lunch - Serve alongside a fresh green salad for a light lunch
Colander | Grater | Non-stick skillet | Quarter sheet pan | Mixing bowl set
More broccoli recipes you may enjoy
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Broccoli and Cheese Tart
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (9-inch)
- 16 ounces frozen chopped broccoli (thawed and drained)
- 1 ½ cup cheddar cheese (freshly shredded)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese (freshly shredded)
- ½ medium onion (diced)
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 large egg (for egg wash)
- Everything bagel seasoning (or sesame seeds for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll the pie crusts and press them into a quarter sheet pan. The crusts will overlap in the middle. Press the seam together. Then fold the excess dough around the edges to be even with the sides of the pan. Chill while you prepare the filling.
- Place the thawed broccoli in a colander to drain excess moisture, squeezing with a paper towel if necessary. (Note 1) Set aside.
- In a small skillet set over medium heat, add the butter and the diced onions and saute until softened and translucent, approx. 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the fresh thyme. (Note 2)
- In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup of the cheddar cheese with the parmesan cheese, broccoli, and onion mixture. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the filling into the pie crust-lined pan and spread evenly. Top with remaining cheese.
- Whisk together the egg with 1 teaspoon water. Brush the edges of the pie crust. Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, or pepper, if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbly and lightly brown. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
- If using fresh broccoli, blanch the broccoli before combining it with the rest of the filling ingredients. Add the broccoli to boiling water for 30-60 seconds before transferring it to a bowl filled with ice water. Drain well to remove any excess moisture. Chop.
- Fresh thyme can be substituted with 1 ½ teaspoons dried thyme.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.