This post was originally published in January 2020 and has been updated.
These rice bowls are a build-your-own situation loaded with fresh, Greek salad-inspired ingredients including the most wonderful whipped feta. Prep all of the components ahead of time for quick and easy meals on demand.
These veggie rice bowls are an easy, build-your-own solution to the meal time dilemma.
Why you will love this
- Completely customizable. Swap in ingredients that you love or have on hand.
- Rice bowls are versatile and ideal for meal prep. They are portable too. Pack as a picnic lunch or bring to the office.
- Use leftover rice for a no-cook dish.
- These bowls are filled with fresh flavors inspired by a Greek salad.
- The most wonderful whipped feta spread might just be the best part of these bowls. It's glorious - tangy and creamy with a punch of bright lemon.
- Rice - Use your favorite brown or white rice. This is a great way to use up leftover rice.
- Greek-inspired fixings - Cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, and Kalamata olives. Add or substitute bell peppers, radishes, or any other veggies you love.
- Whipped feta is a delicious blend of feta cheese, cream cheese, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings.
- Feta cheese - I love Greek sheep and goat's milk feta. I prefer using block feta. It has more moisture and stays fresher than pre-crumbled cheese.
- Cream cheese - Whipped cream cheese is soft and blends easily. If using block cream cheese, bring it to room temperature first.
- Lemon juice - Freshly squeezed is always best.
- Seasonings - Oregano, thyme, minced garlic, and black pepper.
Please see the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
To make the whipped feta, using a food processor, blend together the feta, cream cheese, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings. Process for about 2 minutes, scraping the bowl as needed, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of feta spread, which is more than is needed for the rice bowls. But trust me - you will want extra whipped feta in your life! Use as a dip with pita chips, spread on burgers, or add to a veggie wrap. It's addictive!
To assemble the bowls, start with rice and top with the veggies and a generous spoonful of feta.
Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, black pepper, parsley or cilantro, and pita chips.
For added protein, chicken, salmon, and shrimp are all delicious options in these bowls.
You may also like...
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Greek Rice Bowls with Whipped Feta
- 14 ounces block feta cheese (I prefer Greek sheep's milk feta)
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese (or block cream cheese, softened to room temperature)
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 2 cups cooked white or brown rice
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- olive oil (for finishing)
- parsley or cilantro (for garnish)
- black pepper (for garnish)
- pita chips (for serving)
- Add the feta cheese to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until the cheese resembles crumbs. Add the cream cheese, oregano, thyme, garlic, and lemon juice, and process until the mixture is creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl. Refrigerate extra spread.
Greek Rice Bowls
- To assemble, divide the rice between two bowls. Top with cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, and olives. Add a generous spoonful of whipped feta. Garnish with parsley or cilantro, black pepper, olive oil, and pita chips.
- This recipe yields 2 cups of whipped feta. Save the extra for snacking, spreading on burgers, or adding to veggie wraps.
- Add chicken, salmon, or shrimp for added protein.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.