Halloumi Fajitas are a delicious meat-free way to enjoy fajitas. Halloumi cheese is pan-fried and served with peppers and onions and cilantro lime rice. Tortillas are optional!
Mexican food is popular in our house. We love tacos, taco salads, enchiladas... and fajitas. For a twist on traditional chicken or beef fajitas, I love this version made with pan-fried halloumi cheese. This is a great meat-free option for veggie lovers.
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is a semi-hard, brined cheese typically made from goat's and sheep's milk. Halloumi can often be found in the specialty cheese section of most supermarkets. If your local supermarket doesn't carry it, you can try Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Since Halloumi is a firm cheese, it stands up well to grilling and frying. It has a salty bite and a texture similar to that of feta.
Ingredients for Halloumi Fajitas
- halloumi cheese
- bell peppers - use your favorites - green, red, orange, or yellow
- red onions - red onion is my favorite but you can also use yellow
- fajita seasoning
- Jasmine or other white rice - brown rice can also be used.
- tortillas and lime wedges for serving if desired
How to make
- Prep the ingredients: cut the halloumi, peppers, and onions into chunks or slices
- Season the veggies with the fajita seasoning and saute until crisp-tender.
- Season the halloumi with more fajita seasoning and saute until browned on both sides.
- Season cooked rice with cilantro and lime juice.
How to serve
There are several ways to serve Halloumi fajitas. Serve the rice on the side or add it to the tortillas along with the cheese and peppers and onions. Alternatively, serve the cheese and peppers and onions over the rice. A squeeze of fresh lime is the perfect finishing touch.
Halloumi Fajitas are a great way to change up Mexican night with your family.
Similar recipes you may also enjoy
- 1 ½ cups assorted bell peppers (chopped)
- ¾ cup red onion (chopped)
- 16-18 ounces halloumi cheese (cut into cubes)
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning (divided)
- 3 cups Jasmine or other white rice (cooked)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 limes (divided)
- tortillas (for serving (optional) )
- In a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil and saute the peppers and onions until softened, approx. 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the halloumi and cook until caramelized. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
- To the cooked rice, add the cilantro and juice of one lime. Stir to combine.
- Serve the rice, halloumi, and peppers and onions on a large platter. Serve tortillas on the side along with extra lime wedges.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.