Halloumi Fajitas are a delicious meat-free way to enjoy fajitas. Halloumi cheese is pan-fried and served with peppers and onions and cilantro lime rice. Tortillas are optional!
Mexican food is popular in our house. We love tacos, taco salads, enchiladas… and fajitas. For a twist on traditional chicken or beef fajitas, I love this version made with pan-fried halloumi cheese. This is a great meat-free option for veggie lovers.
Halloumi is a semi-hard, brined cheese typically made from goat’s and sheep’s milk. Halloumi can often be found in the specialty cheese section of most supermarkets. If your local supermarket doesn’t carry it, you can try Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s. Since Halloumi is a firm cheese, it stands up well to grilling and frying. It has a salty bite and a texture similar to that of feta.
Ingredients for Halloumi Fajitas
- halloumi cheese – cut into cubes or slice into slabs and pan-fry until browned
- assorted bell peppers and red onions – cut into chunks (or strips) and saute until caramelized and slightly softened
- fajita seasoning
- Jasmine or other white rice – seasoned with cilantro and lime juice
- tortillas and lime wedges for serving if desired
There are several ways to serve Halloumi fajitas. Serve the rice on the side or add it to the tortillas along with the cheese and peppers and onions. Alternatively, serve the cheese and peppers and onions over the rice. A squeeze of fresh lime is the perfect finishing touch.
Halloumi Fajitas are a great way to change up Mexican night with your family. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see what you are cooking.
Similar recipes you may also enjoy
- Pan-Fried Halloumi with Avocado Corn Relish
- Chopped Dorito Taco Salad
- Mexican Cobb Salad with Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Beef Enchiladas
- Taco Pizza
- 1 1/2 cups assorted bell peppers chopped
- 3/4 cup red onion chopped
- 16-18 ounces halloumi cheese cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning divided
- 3 cups Jasmine or other white rice cooked
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 limes divided
- tortillas for serving (optional)
- In a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil and saute the peppers and onions until softened, approx. 5 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same skillet, add the halloumi and cook until caramelized. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon of fajita seasoning.
- To the cooked rice, add the cilantro and juice of one lime. Stir to combine.
- Serve the rice, halloumi, and peppers and onions on a large platter. Serve tortillas on the side along with extra lime wedges.