Chicken Enchilada Lasagna is a twist on chicken enchilada casserole loaded with chicken, onions, peppers, and lots of cheese.
Casseroles are the perfect solution to simplifying weeknight dinners. Prep the casserole ahead of time and then bake on busy nights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly.
This Chicken Enchilada Lasagna is a delicious mash-up of enchiladas and lasagna. I love the flavors of chicken enchilada casserole. But I’m not fond of the texture of the tortillas in the finished casserole. They often seem soggy and gummy. So I replaced the tortillas with lasagna noodles and the resulting texture was perfect!
This casserole is easy to pull together. Combine chicken, onions, and peppers with enchilada sauce. Layer this mixture with lasagna noodles and cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses. Rotisserie or leftover chicken saves prep time. Both homemade enchilada sauce and canned sauce work fine. A ready-made sauce will save time but a homemade sauce is authentic and full of flavor. I like using oven-ready lasagna noodles, which makes prep even easier.
Storing and Baking
Chicken enchilada lasagna can be prepared, refrigerated, and baked at a later time. This helps with those busy nights when you need dinner in a flash. If refrigerated, allow 10-15 minutes of extra baking time. This dish can also be frozen. Cover with foil and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Then, thaw before baking. Serve this casserole with a salad for a complete meal without breaking a sweat!
Similar recipes to try:
Chicken Enchilada Lasagna
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 1/2 large green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper diced
- 4 ounces green chiles canned
- 2 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast cubed
- 2 cups enchilada sauce
- oil for sauteing onions and peppers
- 8 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 ounces Monterey jack cheese shredded
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute onions and red and green peppers until softened. Add in green chiles, chicken, and 1 1/2 cups of enchilada sauce. Heat thoroughly.
- Coat a 9x9 baking dish, like this one, with cooking spray. Place two lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish. Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the top. Sprinkle half of the cheddar cheese and one-third of the Monterey Jack cheese over the chicken. Layer three lasagna noodles on top of the cheese, breaking to fit if necessary. Add the remaining chicken mixture. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese and half of the remaining Monterey Jack cheese. Top with the remaining three lasagna noodles. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce over the top of the noodles. Top with the remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes until golden and bubbly. If refrigerating before baking, allow 10-15 minutes additional baking time.