Corn and Black Bean Salad – charred corn, black beans, crisp red pepper, scallions, and creamy avocado are paired up in this dish that is finished with fresh cilantro and a lime vinaigrette.
I recently got a haircut and had three inches cut off. My hair feels fresher and lighter. It’s smoother to brush through, faster to blow dry, and easier to style. No fussing required. I love it!
So, you ask, what does this have to do with food or more specifically, corn and black bean salad? Well, sometimes simple, straightforward ingredients are absolutely perfect just as is. Without a lot of fussing. Without a lot of window dressing.
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Which brings me to this salad. This dish is loaded with a fresh taste and has a barely-there dressing. In full disclosure, the ingredients include frozen corn and canned black beans. But the red pepper, scallions, avocado, and cilantro add so much freshness. The lime juice vinaigrette adds brightness.
If it was summer and corn was in season, I would opt for grilling ears of corn. But it is January, so I used frozen corn and sauteed it in a little butter until slightly caramelized. It’s not fresh corn, but it brings terrific flavor nonetheless.
I love all of the flavors in this salad. It is definitely a new favorite of mine. The diced red pepper adds a pop of color and scallions provide a mild onion flavor. I finished this dish with lots of cilantro. I love the freshness it brings to the salad. The vinaigrette is a simple blend of lime juice and grapeseed oil.
The flavors of all the ingredients shine through. Enjoy this salad as a light lunch or as a colorful side dish. Quick and easy to prepare, and absolutely scrumptious!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation!
Other salads you may enjoy:
- Mexican Cobb Salad with Creamy Salsa Dressing
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Greek Orzo Salad
- Chicken Taco Salad Bowl
Corn and Black Bean Salad with Avocado and Cilantro
- 14 ounces corn, frozen
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 15.5 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the corn in butter until slightly caramelized. Remove from heat to cool.
- Meanwhile, add black beans, diced red pepper, and diced scallions to a mixing bowl. In a small bowl, toss the diced avocado with the juice of 1/2 of the lime. Add the avocado and the cooled corn to the bean mixture. Toss to combine.
- Whisk the juice from the remaining half of the lime with grapeseed oil. Season with salt and pepper and pour over salad. Add cilantro and toss to combine. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.