I first made this foot-long deli sandwich on Super Bowl Sunday. Loaded with our favorite deli ingredients, it was a hearty, super-sized sandwich perfect for sharing during the game.
More recently, I made this deli sandwich for a Friday night dinner. It was a casual option for a quick and easy end-of-the-week dinner.
Here in the Northeast, we call these sandwiches “grinders”. In other regions, they’re called “hoagies”, “heroes”, or “submarines”. Regardless of the name, it’s a delicious sandwich that you can customize with any of your favorite sandwich fixings.
I used a loaf of whole wheat Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise. After spreading each half with Chipotle mayo, I layered with roast beef, ham, turkey, swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, and red onion. Slice into individual portions and serve up alongside potato chips and pickles.
No need to wait until the next Super Bowl to make this deli sandwich. Try it at your end-of-summer picnic!
More sandwich recipes
Foot-long Deli Sandwich
- 1 loaf italian bread, unsliced
- 1/2 pound deli roast beef, sliced thin
- 1/3 pound deli ham, sliced thin
- 1/3 pound deli turkey, sliced thin
- 6 -8 slices deli swiss cheese, sliced medium
- 6 -8 slices deli pepper jack cheese, sliced medium
- romaine lettuce
- red onion
- chipotle mayo
- Slice bread in half, lengthwise. Spread each side with chipotle mayo.
- Layer the bottom half of the bread with lettuce, roast beef, swiss cheese, ham, turkey, red onion, and pepper jack cheese. Top with the other half of bread.
- Slice into individual portions.