This Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich is a delicious way to use up leftover chicken. Toss the cooked chicken with celery, grapes, almonds, and a tangy dressing and serve on a buttery croissant. Perfect for brunch, lunch, or bridal or baby showers.
Chicken salad is one of my favorite ways to use up leftover chicken. It's easy to make and keeps for several days in the fridge. I love piling the chicken salad on buttery croissants for an anything-but-boring weekday lunch. The combination of creamy dressing, crisp celery, sweet grapes, and soft croissants is absolutely delicious!
This salad is loaded with classic chicken salad ingredients.
- Chicken - Chop up leftover chicken breasts or grab a rotisserie chicken at the supermarket.
- Grapes - Add sweetness and color to the salad. Raisins, dried cherries, or cranberries can also be used.
- Celery - Provides a crisp, crunchy texture.
- Almonds - Add crunch and flavor. Walnuts or pecans are delicious too. The nuts can be left out if desired.
- Creamy dressing - A blend of mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, and tarragon.
Croissant sandwiches look fancy but they are so easy to prepare.
- The chicken salad can be eaten immediately or made in advance. It will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator and the flavors will continue to blend.
- Don't assemble the sandwiches until ready to eat. This will keep the croissants from turning soggy.
- Chicken salad is delicious served sandwich-style but is equally delicious served on a bed of greens or in a hollowed-out tomato, bell pepper, or avocado. I also love eating this salad with crackers.
Homemade chicken salad will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Store in an airtight container.
For best results, I do not recommend freezing mayo-based chicken salad. Th mayonnaise may separate and the texture of the ingredients may be compromised. Alternatively, you can freeze the cooked chicken and thaw when ready to make the salad.
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. You can also share a photo on Instagram and tag me @mycasualpantry and use hashtag #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making!
More chicken recipes to try
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
- Grilled Chicken Caprese Salad
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Cap’n Crunch Chicken Tenders
- Easy Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Salad with Apples and Pecans
Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt adjusted to taste
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken breasts (Note 1)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup halved red grapes
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 2 scallions chopped (optional)
- 4 large croissants for serving
- lettuce leaves for serving
- For the dressing: in a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Taste and season with more salt, if necessary.
- Add the chicken, celery, grapes, almonds, and scallions (if using). Gently fold until the dressing evenly coats all of the ingredients.
- Serve with croissants and lettuce leaves.
- Store leftover salad in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
- 3 cups chopped chicken equals approx. 20 ounces of uncooked or 15 ounces of cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts.
Author's note: This post was originally published in June 2020 and has been updated.