Skip the fast-food joints and enjoy this delicious BBQ Bacon Chicken Brioche sandwich at home. Seasoned tender chicken breast is topped with bold barbecue sauce, pickles, bacon, and cheddar cheese... all served on a buttery brioche bun.
Why you will love this
Winning flavors - This flavor combination is a winner every time. BBQ sauce, cheddar cheese, and bacon take this chicken brioche sandwich from ordinary to extraordinary. And the buttery Brioche bun is the perfect vehicle for these flavors.
Quick and easy - This sandwich takes just 15 minutes to prepare. The seasoned chicken is pan-seared and finished in the oven to keep it tender and juicy. I keep this homemade barbecue sauce in my fridge, but your favorite bottled variety can also be used.
- Chicken - I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for this sandwich.
- Bacon - Use thick-cut bacon for a meaty bite.
- Cheddar cheese - Pepper Jack, Colby, or Swiss are also great options.
- Barbecue sauce - I love the bold flavor of this homemade sauce. You can also use your favorite bottled variety.
- Pickles - Add a fresh, crisp crunch to the sandwich.
- Brioche buns - Soft and buttery and just perfect for these sandwiches.
Tips and steps for making
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
Preparing the chicken
I use smaller chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each. Pound the chicken to an even thickness, about ½ inch thick. This helps the chicken cook evenly and makes it easy to eat.
For larger, thicker chicken breasts, slice the chicken in half horizontally and pound as necessary to achieve an even thickness. One large piece of chicken will make two sandwiches.
Seasoning and cooking the chicken
A simple blend of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper adds great flavor to the chicken.
To keep the chicken tender and juicy, sear the chicken in a cast-iron skillet. Then transfer it to the oven to finish cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. During warmer months, grilling the chicken is a great option too.
Preparing the toppings
The bacon and the barbecue sauce can be made ahead of time, making this sandwich quick and easy to pull together.
If you're not a fan of barbecue sauce, try Teriyaki sauce. Or reach for mayonnaise or a flavored mayonnaise, such as chipotle. Honey mustard, ranch dressing, and guacamole are also great options.
Cheddar cheese is classic, but Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, and Pepper Jack are also great options.
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
BBQ Bacon Chicken Brioche Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approx. 4 oz. each (Note 1))
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 brioche buns
- ¼-⅓ cup barbecue sauce
- 12 slices bread and butter pickles
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon (cooked)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the chicken on one half of a piece of parchment paper. Fold the parchment over and with a meat mallet, pound the chicken to ½ inch thickness.
- Mix the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the chicken to the pan. Cook until brown, approx 2-3 minutes. Flip and brown the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 5 minutes until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. (Note 2) Top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese. Remove the skillet from the oven and rest the chicken while you assemble the sandwiches. (The residual heat is enough to melt the cheese.)
- Spread the top and bottom buns with the barbecue sauce. Top each bottom bun with half of the pickles. Place a piece of chicken on top of the pickles. Top the chicken with the bacon, two slices per sandwich. Replace the top bun and serve.
- For larger, thicker chicken breasts, slice the chicken in half horizontally and pound as necessary to achieve an even thickness. One large piece of chicken will make two sandwiches.
- This cooking method keeps the chicken moist and tender. During warmer months, you can also cook the chicken on the grill.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.