Ultimate Baked Beans - loaded with ground beef, bacon, three kinds of beans, and lots of tangy barbecue flavor. Delicious as a side dish but hearty enough as a meal-in-one.
I know today isn't Thursday, but I'm posting a throw-back recipe... so I'm calling this Throw Back Tuesday! This recipe dates back to my childhood... my mom frequently made these beans when she needed to feed a large group. An ideal potluck dish for sure.
What are Ultimate Baked Beans?
These aren't your ordinary barbecue baked beans. Loaded with hearty ingredients, serve these beans as a side dish or as a meal by themselves. To make these beans, you will need:
- ground beef
- canned pork and beans
- butter beans
- kidney beans
- brown sugar
The brown sugar and ketchup provide sweetness while the mustard and vinegar provide tang... the perfect blend of barbecue flavors.
How to serve Ultimate Baked Beans
There are so many ways to serve these beans. Here are some of my favorites:
- as a side dish to fried chicken or pulled pork sandwiches
- as a satisfying meal-in-one - just add a green salad
- serve as a topping on hot dogs (aka barbecue dogs)
- or as a topping on french fries or nachos
- top the baked beans with shredded cheese and diced onions or scallions
- in Frito pie... top Fritos with the beans and your favorite toppings
- keep the beans warm in a slow cooker during game day
- bring to church potlucks
With cooler temperatures in the air, this recipe is hearty and comforting. The perfect dish for fall! With so many options for serving, you will want to add these Ultimate Baked Beans to your menu. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see what you are creating in your kitchen.
More crowd favorites
- Barbecue Chicken Nachos
- Cheeseburger Slider Casserole
- Hashbrown Potatoes Deluxe
- Foot-long Deli Sandwich
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Green Chile & Cheddar Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage Cheese Balls with Horseradish Cream
Ultimate Baked Beans
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 28-oz cans pork and beans not drained
- 1 16-oz can butter beans not drained
- 1 16-oz can kidney beans not drained
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a large heavy-bottomed pan set over medium heat, cook the ground beef until browned, breaking apart the meat as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, remove the beef from the pan and drain the excess fat.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook until brown and almost crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan and drain the excess drippings, leaving about one tablespoon of drippings in the pan.
- Add the onion to the bacon drippings in the pan and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add back the beef and the bacon. Add the pork and beans, butter beans, and kidney beans (all undrained). Add in brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, and vinegar. Stir to combine and continue cooking until heated through.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Reheat leftovers on the stove top or in the microwave.