Sloppy Joes combine ground beef, onions, and green pepper in a barbecue-style sauce piled high on sandwich rolls. A delicious and easy weeknight meal.
Sloppy Joes never seem to go out of style. I loved these sandwiches a child and my family loves them today. They are quick and easy to make and work perfectly for weeknight dinners or large gatherings. And, sloppy joes are delicious with a flavorful ketchup-based sauce.
The Homemade Sauce
In a pinch, sloppy joes can be made with the sauce that comes in a can. But, homemade sloppy joe sauce is easy to make and is so delicious. The sauce starts with diced onion and green pepper. Next, combine with tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, and a variety of seasonings. This sauce has a barbecue vibe - savory with a touch of sweetness. Then, add ground beef that has already been browned and drained, simmer for 10-15 minutes, and serve up dinner.
I like serving sloppy joes on toasted sandwich rolls with some potato chips on the side. For larger gatherings, keep the meat warm and ready to serve in a slow cooker. Sloppy joes also make great freezer food. I often make a large batch of the meat mixture, divide it into meal-size portions and store in freezer bags. Then on busy nights, quickly reheat the meat mixture for a no-fuss meal.
You will appreciate the ease of this recipe to simplify busy nights. I hope your family loves these as much as mine does.
- 3 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a heavy pot, cook beef until browned and cooked through. Drain. Add onion and green pepper to the meat in the pot and cook for 3-5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Simmer gently for 10-15 minutes.
- To serve immediately: spoon onto toasted sandwich rolls.To freeze: let meat mixture cool. Transfer to freezer zipper-top bags in meal-size portions.