There is something so comforting about a pot of meat sauce simmering on the stove. Especially on a rainy or chilly day, the aroma is so warming, soothing. Toss together with pasta, add a salad, and you will have a satisfying dinner ready to serve.
This sauce has a combination of ground beef and Italian turkey sausage. Pork sausage can easily be used in place of the turkey sausage. When I made this batch, I used turkey sausage. After browning the meat and draining the excess grease, simmer with crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, parsley, and basil. Serve over your favorite pasta for a comforting meal that the whole family will love!
Classic Meat Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage (or pork sausage)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried basil
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried parsley
- In a heavy pot set over medium heat, brown the beef and sausage, breaking apart the meat while it cooks. When thoroughly cooked, drain the excess grease.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, basil, and parsley. Simmer for 1 ½ - 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over pasta. Refrigerate any remaining sauce.