This Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole is a one-skillet dinner combining everyone's favorite burger flavors. A quick and easy meal for weeknights that the whole family will love.
I love turning to my pantry and freezer to pull together quick yet delicious meals. This cheeseburger casserole comes together with a handful of pantry staples and frozen tater tots.
Why you will love this recipe
- Ground beef brings the classic burger vibe. For a leaner option, ground turkey or chicken can also be used.
- Cheese - Shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack is my favorite combo. American and Pepper Jack are also great options. Be sure to use a good melting cheese.
- Tater tots - These frozen potatoes are convenient and bake up crispy.
- Seasonings - Onion, ketchup, yellow mustard, and Worcestershire round out the flavors.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil, ground beef, and diced onion. Sauté until the beef is no longer pink, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain the excess fat.
- Add the ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Layer half of the cheese over the meat mixture.
- Arrange tater tots (I use Ore Ida Crispy Crowns) over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tater tots are brown and crisp.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.. Garnish with pickles and chopped scallions.
Storing and reheating
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Individual portions can be reheated in the microwave.
- Grate your own cheese fresh from a block for optimal melting.
- Drain the excess fat from the meat before adding the sauce ingredients. This prevents the dish from being greasy and too heavy.
Casseroles in general are referred to as Hotdish in the Midwest. Hotdish is very popular in upper Midwest regions, particularly Minnesota. Hotdish generally refers to a one-dish comfort food-style meal.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- 16-20 ounces tater tots ( (or Ore Ida crispy crowns), approx. ½ of a 32-oz package)
- pickles (for garnish)
- chopped scallions (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add a drizzle of oil and the ground beef and onion. Cook until the beef is no longer pink, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain the excess fat.
- Stir in ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Top the mixture with half of the cheese.
- Arrange tater tots (I used Ore Ida Crispy Crowns) over the top covering the surface. Bake for 20-25 minutes until tater tots are brown and crisp. Top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. Garnish with pickles and scallions, if desired.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
This post was originally published in January 2019 and has been updated.