Hashbrown Potatoes Deluxe is a fabulously scrumptious “I could eat the whole dish” hashbrown casserole. A lot of us have eaten some version of hashbrown casserole before. But this recipe is truly the hashbrown casserole to top them all!
This recipe was passed down to me from my mom. It is simple, not fussy. After all, it includes a can of condensed cream of chicken soup. Frozen hash brown potatoes also add to the ease of pulling this recipe together.
This casserole is cheesy, creamy, savory, comforting, and oh boy – that crispy potato chip topping!! I’m practically drooling talking about it.
Hashbrown Potatoes Deluxe pairs perfectly with ham, meatloaf, or steak. Anything really. This makes a delicious brunch side dish too!
Time is a wasting! Let’s get right to it. Make this casserole today.
Hashbrown Potatoes Deluxe
- 30 ounces (1 bag) frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 10 3/4 ounces (1 can) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt (a scant teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Add potato chips to a zipper top bag and crush with a rolling pin. Approximately four large handfuls of potato chips will yield one cup of crushed chips. Set aside crushed chips.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together sour cream and condensed soup. Add onion, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Fold in shredded potatoes and shredded cheese until combined.
- Pour potato mixture into a 9x13x2 inch baking dish (ungreased). Top with crushed potato chips. Drizzle melted butter over the top. Bake at 375 degrees for one hour until golden and bubbly.