Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese combines savory garlic bread and gooey grilled cheese in one sandwich! Thick slices of Texas toast are slathered with garlicky butter, topped with two kinds of cheese, and grilled to perfection.
I'm speechless over this sandwich. Garlic bread meets grilled cheese. These two things are delicious on their own, but when combined... Well, let's just say grilled cheese will never be the same.
This grilled cheese has two kinds of cheese layered on thick Texas toast-style bread slathered with cheesy, garlicky butter. Need I say more?
Flavor-packed garlic butter is the game-changer in this sandwich. It turns the bread into the most delectable garlic toast. Combine softened butter with freshly-grated garlic, shredded parmesan cheese, and parsley.
What kind of cheese is best?
When selecting cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches, be sure to pick a cheese that melts well. I love Colby jack and smoked gouda in this recipe, but other varieties also are delicious:
- Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack
What kind of bread is best?
To get the texas toast vibe I was going for in this recipe, I used thick-sliced white bread. Generally, sturdy bread is best for grilled cheese. Avoid soft, more delicate bread such as Brioche. These varieties are great options to try:
You can jazz up your grilled cheese with a variety of add-ins. These are some of my favorites:
- caramelized onions
- sliced apple or pear - this is delicious with Brie!
- fig or apricot preserves
How to serve
Grilled cheese is quick and easy to make which makes it ideal as a weekday lunch. For a classic combination, serve with Easy Homemade Tomato Soup. Some of my other favorite pairings include:
- potato chips or french fries
- Garden salad
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
More cheese-filled recipes you may enjoy
- Easy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- Everything Bagel Cheese Ball
- Dorito Cheese Ball
- Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole with Ritz Cracker Topping
- Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers with Goat Cheese
- Ultimate Hot Pizza Dip
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (softened to a soft, spreadable consistency)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 slices Texas toast bread
- 4 slices Colby Jack cheese
- 4 slices smoked gouda cheese
- Add the softened butter to a small bowl. Using a microplane or grater, grate the garlic cloves and add to the butter. Add the Parmesan cheese and parsley. Stir until well combine.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with ¼ of the butter mixture. Place two slices of bread buttered side down in the pan. Top each slice with two slices of Colby and two slices of gouda. Top with the remaining two slices of bread, buttered side up.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until golden brown. After flipping, cover the pan with a lid to help the cheese to melt, if necessary.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.