A must for St. Patrick’s Day, crock pot corned beef is a fuss-free recipe for perfectly tender and flavorful corned beef every time.
Corned Beef is always on the menu for St. Patrick’s Day in our house. I usually make it a few times during March (although it’s delicious any time of year). The easiest way to cook corned beef is in the crockpot or slow cooker. It is a fuss-free method and the corned beef comes out perfectly tender every time.
Corned beef brisket
Corned beef is most commonly sold in two cuts – point cut and flat cut. The point cut is fattier and more uneven in thickness. This cut is good for shredding. The flat cut is more uniform in thickness so it is more ideal for slicing. The flat cut is also leaner. Both cuts are delicious and I have cooked both many times. I tend to prefer the flat cut for the uniform slices that I can get from it.
Packages of corned beef often include a spice packet. These spices add great flavor or you can use a homemade spice blend to season the corned beef brisket.
Corned beef is typically served with cabbage and often potatoes or carrots. My family is not a fan of cooked cabbage so I like to serve corned beef with roasted potatoes and carrots. Leftover roasted potatoes are great for making hash and corned beef is delicious in sandwiches like Reubens.
Preparing corned beef
In the bottom of the crock pot or slow cooker, add a large, sliced onion. Lay the corned beef briskets on top of the onions. Top with the spice rub or use the contents of the spice packets that came with the beef. Set the crock pot to low and cook for 6-8 hours or until a thermometer reads 145 degrees. Remove the briskets to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly before slicing. Leftovers should be kept refrigerated in an airtight container.
I hope you add this recipe to your St. Patrick’s Day menu. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
Similar recipes to try
Crock Pot Corned Beef
- 6 - 8 pounds corned beef brisket (approx. 2 packages)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- In a small bowl, combine the pepper, minced onion, garlic, thyme, coriander, mustard, and cloves. If desired, use a pestle to crush the spices together. Set aside
- In the bottom of the crock pot (slow cooker), place the sliced onions. Remove the briskets from the packaging and rinse under cold water. Layer the briskets on top of the onions and rub with the spice mixture. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. The meat temperature should be at least 145 degrees on an instant-read thermometer. Remove to a cutting board to cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve the corned beef with roasted potatoes and carrots. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.