Reuben Stuffed Bread makes an ultimate snack for game day or a perfect lunch. Filled with corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing, this loaded bread is baked to golden brown, melted perfection.
Reubens are one of my favorite sandwiches. I love corned beef and Reuben sandwiches are the best way to enjoy corned beef without waiting for St. Patrick’s Day.
If you like Reuben sandwiches as much as I do, this recipe is for you. Everything we love about these sandwiches – deli corned beef, swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing – is stuffed and baked inside of pizza dough. This stuffed bread makes a hearty game day snack or lunch.
I like using pizza dough for this recipe. Start by forming the dough into a large rectangle on a sheet pan (like this one) that has been lightly brushed with oil. Spread Thousand Island dressing over the top of the dough. Lay one row of swiss cheese lengthwise down the center of the dough. Next, layer the corned beef on top of the cheese. Spread the sauerkraut on top of the corned beef. Then, place another row of cheese on top of the sauerkraut.
Braiding the bread
Now for braiding the stuffed bread. This is not difficult and it gives the baked bread such a fancy look. First, with scissors, cut strips one-inch wide in the dough on each side of the filling, cutting from the outside towards the filling in the center. Then, starting at one end, pull one strip up and over the filling on a diagonal. Next, pull one strip of dough from the other side up and over the filling on a diagonal. Continue this “braiding”, alternating with strips of dough from side to side, until the whole loaf is covered. Pinch the dough together at each end to seal.
Baking the bread
Then, brush the top of the bread with an egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt. If you have caraway seeds, you can certainly sprinkle those on top, too. The egg wash will help the bread bake up golden brown on top. Bake the bread at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing.
Reuben Stuffed Bread
- dough for 1 pizza crust
- 1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/2 pound deli corned beef, sliced thin
- 1/2 pound deli swiss cheese, sliced medium
- 1/3 cup sauerkraut
- 1 beaten egg, for brushing on top of the dough
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a sheet pan lightly brushed with oil, form the pizza dough into a rectangle. Spread the dressing over the top of the dough. Arrange a layer of cheese lengthwise down the middle of the dough. Next, layer the corned beef over the cheese. Spread the sauerkraut over the beef and cover with another layer of cheese.
- Using scissors, cut one-inch strips on each side of the dough, cutting from the outside towards the filling in the center. Starting at one end, pull one strip up and over the filling at a diagonal. Then, pull the strip of dough from the other side up and over the filling. Continue "braiding", alternatively pulling strips of dough from each side up and over the filling. At each end, pinch the dough together to seal.
- Brush the beaten egg over the top of the bread. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 20-25 minutes until golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Slice and serve.