Chicken Salad with Apples and Pecans - a delicious fall twist on classic chicken salad. With leftover chicken, this is a quick and easy weekday lunch option.
If you're looking for a way to use up leftover chicken or you just need a fuss-free lunch idea, this one is for you! Chicken salad with apples and pecans is a delicious fall twist on a classic. This salad can be pulled together in 15 minutes. Serve in a bread bowl for a fun presentation. Or use your favorite bread, croissants, or rolls. For a low carb version, serve on a bed of lettuce.
- deli-style brown mustard (dijon can be substituted)
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
- cooked chicken - use leftover or Rotisserie chicken for ease and convenience
- honey crisp apples - feel free to swap in your favorite variety
- pecans - walnuts are a great option too
- dried cranberries - dried cherries can be substituted
- rolls, bread, or croissants for serving
Since this recipe relies on leftover or rotisserie chicken, toasting the nuts is the only cooking required. This enhances the flavor and I recommend it since it only takes a few minutes.
To toast the nuts: add the pecans to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until the nuts are fragrant.
- Dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
- Chicken salad: In a large bowl, combine the chicken, apple, cranberries, pecans, and celery. Add the dressing and fold together until all the ingredients are evenly coated with the dressing.
- Serving: In a bread bowl, scoop out the center of a large roll and fill with the salad. Alternatively, serve on your favorite bread, roll, or croissant. For a low carb option, serve the chicken salad on a bed of lettuce.
Other chicken recipes you may enjoy
- Chicken Salad Croissant Sandwich
- Hot Chicken Salad
- Chicken Taco Salad Bowl
- Buffalo Chicken Caesar Salad
- Chicken Caesar Pasta Salad
Chicken Salad with Apples and Pecans
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon deli-style brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 chicken breasts cooked and chopped (about 1 ½ - 1 ¾ cups)
- 1 honey crisp apple (or similar variety), chopped
- ¼ cup pecans toasted (note 1) and chopped
- 3-4 stalks celery sliced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 4 rolls or bread, croissants
- In a small mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, maple syrup, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, apple, pecans, celery, and cranberries. Add the dressing and gently fold until the dressing evenly coats all of the ingredients.
- To serve in a bread bowl: scoop out the center of a large roll. Fill with chicken salad and serve. Alternatively, serve in sandwich form on bread, croissants, or rolls.
- To toast the nuts: add the pecans to a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until the nuts are fragrant.
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. If you take a photo, you can post on Instagram tagging me @mycasualpantry using hashtag #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making.