Italian Turkey Burgers are flavored with pesto and topped with mozzarella, tomato, and basil. These burgers are simple, yet delicious. Perfect for a fuss-free dinner on the grill.
Grilling season calls for burgers, and who doesn't love a juicy burger in the summer? I like to change things up occasionally and use ground turkey instead of beef. Turkey is a lighter option, and although turkey can be bland by itself, it pairs so well with so many different flavor combinations.
Italian turkey burgers get a punch of flavor from pesto, which is added to the ground turkey before grilling. Pesto is such an easy way to add lots of flavor to recipes. And it helps to keep these burgers moist and juicy. I used jarred pesto for added convenience and ease, but you can certainly make your own pesto if you prefer.
The toppings are simple ingredients but they bring home the Italian vibe.
- mozzarella cheese
- tomato slices
- fresh basil leaves
- pesto mayonnaise
Tips for cooking turkey burgers
- Don't overmix. Gently combine the ground turkey with the pesto. Overmixing will cause the burgers to be tough.
- Bring turkey to room temperature. Allow time for the ground turkey to come to room temperature before adding to the grill. This will ensure even cooking throughout.
- Use oil to prevent sticking. Either brush the grill or the burgers with oil to prevent sticking.
- Always use an instant-read thermometer. Turkey must be cooked to 165 degrees. An instant-read thermometer is the best way to ensure the burgers are fully cooked.
- No grill? No problem! These burgers can also be cooked in a skillet - cast-iron works really well.
How to serve
I love serving these turkey burgers on Brioche buns. They are soft and buttery and toasting the bun is always a delicious option. I love eating burgers with potato chips, but these sides are perfect too:
- Easy Creamy Coleslaw
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Ultimate Baked Beans
- Summer Pasta Salad
- BLT Pasta Salad with Creamy Dressing
More ground turkey recipes
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Italian Turkey Burgers
- 20.8 ounces ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons basil pesto (divided)
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato
- 8 basil leaves
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 Brioche buns
- flake sea salt (for seasoning the tomatoes (optional))
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey with 3 tablespoons pesto. Mix gently, until just combined. Shape the mixture into four burgers.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes per side until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. During the last minute of cooking, top each burger with a slice of cheese. Toast the burger buns on the grill, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise with the remaining tablespoon of pesto.
- Spread the top and bottom of each bun with the pesto mayonnaise. Top with a burger, tomato slice, and fresh basil. Season the tomatoes with flaky sea salt if desired.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Leave a Comment