Pizza night will never be the same without this Prosciutto, Leek and Gruyere pizza. The prosciutto is salty, the leeks sweet and mild, and the gruyere slightly nutty.
Prosciutto, Leek and Gruyere pizza will transform your pizza world. It's salty, slightly nutty and has a mild onion flavor from the leeks. This flavor combination is a nice twist on traditional pepperoni.
You will need dough for one 8 or 9-inch pizza. Store-bought pizza dough works great, but you can certainly use homemade dough too.
Saute the leeks in butter before adding to the pizza. This can be done in advance. Store the sauteed leeks in the fridge until pizza time.
Since leeks tend to be sandy and gritty, they need to be rinsed very thoroughly. Discard the dark green ends. Cut the leeks in half length-wise, then slice into half moons. Add the sliced leeks to a colander and rinse well. I like using a salad spinner to remove the moisture before sauteing.
The prosciutto should be thinly sliced so it will crisp up in the oven. Most supermarkets carry pre-packaged sliced prosciutto or you can have it sliced fresh at the deli counter.
Gruyere is a mild, slightly nutty cheese that melts beautifully. I love the flavor of gruyere with prosciutto and leeks. I also like to use Parmesan for the added salty bite.
In lieu of sauce, I brush the pizza dough with garlic-infused oil and top with parmesan cheese before layering the rest of the ingredients.
Bake until golden brown and melty and dig in!
Prosciutto, Leek and Gruyere Pizza
- pizza dough for one 8 or 9-inch pizza
- 5-6 slices prosciutto (approx. 2-3 ounces)
- 2 medium leeks
- 4 ounces gruyere cheese (shredded)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Place the pizza stone in oven to preheat. Alternatively, lightly brush a sheet pan with oil. Set aside. Add the oil and garlic to a small saucepan and heat over low heat to infuse the oil with the garlic.
- Meanwhile, shape pizza dough into an 8 or 9-inch circle. If using a pizza stone, shape the dough on a board. If using a sheet pan, shape the dough directly on the pan.
- Brush the dough with the garlic-infused oil. Top with the parmesan cheese. Layer some of the gruyere, the prosciutto, leeks and finish with the remaining gruyere. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Transfer to the hot pizza stone or place sheet pan in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown, prosciutto is slightly crisp, and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese. Slice and serve.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.