This green chile cheddar cornbread is a delicious comforting side dish. Made with mostly pantry staples, this cornbread is easy to make. Serve cornbread with soups, salads, chili, or barbecue.
You will love this
Cornbread is both sweet and savory which makes it so delicious. This version blends mild green chiles and cheddar cheese with the slightly sweet batter.
This comfort food dish is easy to prepare. Cornbread takes just minutes to mix together and bakes while the rest of the meal is being prepared. Serve in place of bread, biscuits, potatoes, or rice for a comforting side dish. Cornbread pairs perfectly with these ultimate baked beans.
This recipe uses mostly pantry staples. I love the ease of recipes in which most ingredients can simply be pulled from my pantry.
This cornbread comes together with mostly pantry ingredients. For extra spice, swap in Pepper Jack cheese and diced jalapenos for the cheddar and green chiles.
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat at the same time. Adding the cornbread batter to a hot pan helps the cornbread to start cooking immediately and creates a delicious crust on the bottom.
- Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Stir until the dry ingredients are just moistened. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chiles and cheddar cheese.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and add enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet (approx. 2 tablespoons).
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serve with butter or drizzle with a touch of honey or maple syrup.
Customize your cornbread with a variety of add-ins and flavor combinations.
- Add diced jalapeno in place of green chiles for a spicy kick.
- Add in chopped bacon.
- Use Pepperjack cheese instead of cheddar.
- Make confetti cornbread with diced red onion, green and red bell pepper.
What to serve with cornbread
More corn-inspired recipes
Green Chile and Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup grapeseed or canola oil + extra for skillet
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces green chiles 1 can
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. While the oven preheats, place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat at the same time.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Stir to combine just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the green chiles and cheddar cheese.
- Remove the preheated skillet from the oven. Coat the pan with enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan, approx. 2 tablespoons. Pour the cornbread batter into the skillet. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cornbread to cool for 15 minutes before slicing. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Author's note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been updated.