This Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza is packed with flavor. The pesto brings a change from red sauce and the roasted vegetables are sweet and caramelized.
Friday night is often pizza night at our house. I love homemade pizza. It's fun to make and delicious too. This Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza is a favorite. The pesto packs a flavor punch, and the roasted vegetables are sweet and caramelized.
You will need pizza dough for one crust. Both homemade or store-bought dough is fine. My favorite go-to pizza dough recipe can be found here. For the pesto, both homemade and store-bought work fine.
For the roasted vegetables, I use red and orange peppers, red and yellow onions, and shallots. But you can use any vegetables you like, and roasting vegetables is a great way to use up leftovers in your produce drawer. I also add black olives to the pizza.
To assemble the pizza, shape the dough into a rectangle on a sheet pan brushed with oil. Spread a layer of pesto on the dough. Top the pesto with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices. (I didn't use fresh mozzarella because it can be a little watery.) Then, top with roasted vegetables and olives. Bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes until crust is brown and crispy and cheese is melted. Slice and enjoy!
Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza
- pizza dough for one pizza
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 10-12 slices mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup roasted vegetables ((recipe below))
- ¼ cup black olives (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 orange bell pepper (diced)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 shallot (diced)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Add the diced peppers, onions, and shallot to a bowl. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Pour the vegetables onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-35 minutes until vegetables start to caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- Half of the vegetables will be used on the pizza. Refrigerate the remaining roasted vegetables for another use.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees. On a sheet pan lightly brushed with oil, shape the pizza dough into a rectangle. Spread a layer of pesto on the dough. Top the pesto with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices. Next, top with the vegetables and sliced black olives.
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes until crust is crispy and pizza is lightly browned around the edges. Cut into squares and enjoy!
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Leave a Comment