This Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza is packed with flavor. The pesto brings a change from red sauce and the roasted vegetables are sweet and caramelized.
Friday night is often pizza night at our house. I love homemade pizza. It's fun to make and delicious too. This Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza is one of my daughter's favorites. The pesto packs a flavor punch, and the roasted vegetables are sweet and caramelized.
You will need pizza dough for one crust. Either homemade or store-bought dough is fine. My favorite go-to pizza dough recipe can be found here. For the pesto, both homemade and store-bought work fine.
For the roasted vegetables, I use red and orange peppers, red and yellow onions, and shallots. But you can use any vegetables you like, and roasting vegetables is a great way to use up leftovers in your produce drawer. I also add black olives to the pizza.
To assemble the pizza, shape the dough into a rectangle on a sheet pan brushed with oil. Spread a layer of pesto on the dough. Top the pesto with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices. (I didn't use fresh mozzarella because it can be a little watery.) Then, top with roasted vegetables and olives. Bake at 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes until crust is brown and crispy and cheese is melted. Slice and enjoy!
- Lemon Arugula Pesto and Shrimp Pizza
- Pesto and Tomato Pizza
- Roasted Garlic Naan Pizza with Sausage and Broccolini
- Corn, Bacon, and Pine Nut Pizza
Roasted Veggie and Pesto Pizza
- pizza dough for one pizza
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- 10-12 slices mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup roasted vegetables (recipe below)
- ¼ cup black olives, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- oil, for drizzling on vegetables
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees. Add the diced peppers, onions, and shallot to a bowl. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Pour the vegetables onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-35 minutes until vegetables start to caramelize. Set aside to cool.
- Half of the vegetables will be used on the pizza. Refrigerate the remaining roasted vegetables for another use.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees. On a sheet pan lightly brushed with oil, shape the pizza dough into a rectangle. Spread a layer of pesto on the dough. Top the pesto with a layer of mozzarella cheese slices. Next, top with the vegetables and sliced black olives.
- Bake the pizza for 10-12 minutes until crust is crispy and pizza is lightly browned around the edges. Cut into squares and enjoy!