Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale is a scrumptious and satisfying dinner that can be prepared quickly and is ideal for dinner on busy weeknights.
Oh, PASTA. It’s satisfying and comforting, especially on these cold winter days we’ve been having lately. And when the dish comes together quickly, it’s even better. Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale is just this dish.
This recipe is not only quick and easy, but it also has less than 5 ingredients. And that is a huge win on busy weeknights or anytime when you want to get dinner on the table in a jiffy.
I love the flavors in this pasta – savory hot Italian sausage and hearty kale. I also love the Orecchiette, which is such a fun pasta shape and to me, resembles elephant ears. The sauce simply comes together with parmesan cheese and pasta water.
- For extra heat, red pepper flakes can be added.
- If spicy isn’t your thing, sweet Italian sausage can be substituted for the hot sausage.
- Swap out the kale for spinach. Leeks would be delicious too!
Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale will make a great addition to your dinner rotation. If you try this recipe please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram #mycasualpantry.
Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale
- 16 ounces hot Italian sausage (sweet can be substituted)
- 4 stalks kale, stem removed and leaves chopped
- 12 ounces orecchiette pasta
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- Meanwhile, cook and crumble the sausage. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate, leaving one tablespoon of fat in the pan. Add the chopped kale to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Saute until wilted, approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add the sausage back to the pan along with the orecchiette and the parmesan cheese. Stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta water, starting with 1/2 cup, to create the sauce. Add additional pasta water if necessary.
Similar recipes you may also enjoy: