This Apple Kale Slaw is loaded with texture and a light, creamy dressing. A shortcut ingredient keeps prep to a minimum.
- Broccoli slaw mix - Look for this in the produce department at your local supermarket. If preferred, cabbage slaw mix can also be used.
- Apple - Use a sweeter apple such as Gala or Honeycrisp. If you prefer a tart apple like Granny Smith, add a touch of honey to the dressing to balance the flavors.
- Deli-style mustard is my go-to mustard. If you prefer the sharper bite of Dijon, feel free to use that.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the slaw mix, chopped kale, and julienned apples. Toss together.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, celery seed, and salt and pepper to a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour dressing over the top and toss to combine. Note: This is not a heavily dressed slaw. If you prefer a creamier, more saucy slaw, double the amount of dressing.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Slaw doesn't need to be relegated to the side dish table. It's the perfect accompaniment to so many dishes.
- Add to the top of a pulled pork or chicken sandwich.
- Use it as a topping for hot dogs or bratwurst.
- Serve with pork or chicken cutlets for a lighter meal.
- Use as a garnish for fish tacos.
- Top with grilled chicken for an easy entrée salad.
Apple Kale Slaw
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw mix (or cabbage slaw mix)
- 3 cups chopped/shredded kale
- 1 Gala or Honeycrisp apple (julienned (Note 1))
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon deli-style mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 pinch salt (or to taste)
- 1 pinch pepper (or to taste)
- Add the broccoli slaw, chopped kale, and julienned apples to a mixing bowl. Toss together.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and celery seeds. Stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and toss to combine. (Note 2)
- Cut the apple into matchstick-like strips. Leaving the skin on the apple will provide color and texture. If desired, remove the peel.
- This slaw is not heavily dressed. For a creamier, more saucy slaw, double the amount of dressing.
- Store refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.