Jalapeno Popper Scones - these savory scones are loaded with the flavors of Jalapeno Poppers. With cheese, jalapenos, and bacon, these scones are equally delicious for breakfast or alongside a bowl of soup.
Mash-up recipes are fun to experiment with. A mash-up is taking two favorite foods and combining them into one new recipe. Scones are typically sweet but these get a savory twist from the flavors of Jalapeno Poppers. My favorite Jalapeno Poppers are bacon-wrapped jalapenos stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and cheddar cheese. All of these flavors are represented in these scones.
Jalapeno Popper Scones
- Cream cheese - traditional in the filling of a jalapeno popper, the cream cheese keeps the scones tender.
- Jalapenos - a must in a jalapeno popper scone! Remove the seeds and membranes to control the heat. Finely dice the jalapenos to help distribute evenly through the dough.
- Cheddar cheese - sharp, yellow cheddar adds great flavor. Add the cheese to the dough and save some for the tops.
- Bacon - use ½ pound of cooked and crumbled bacon for lots of bacon goodness.
Tips for making scones
- Use cold butter and cream cheese. Cold butter prevents spreading and helps keep the scone dough flaky.
- Heavy cream is my preferred liquid for added richness. Make sure the cream is cold as well.
- Be careful not to overmix. Mix the dough until just combined. Overmixing will result in a tough dough.
- Brush the tops of the scones with heavy cream before baking. The cream promotes browning and creates a crispy exterior.
I usually think of scones with breakfast and this savory version fits that bill perfectly. But, these savory scones are also a great complement to a bowl of soup or chili. Or, serve with grilled chicken, beef, or pork. Alternatively, simply enjoy as a snack.
If you are a Jalapeno Popper lover, I'm sure you will love these savory scones.
Other scone recipes you may also enjoy
- Cheese and Onion Scones [Gruyere + Caramelized Onion Scones]
- Orange Scones
- Glazed Chocolate Chunk Scones
- Maple Chai Scones
- Maple Walnut Scones
- Lemon Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze
Jalapeno Popper Scones
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (cold and cut into cubes)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (cold and cut into cubes (2 tablespoon = 1 ounce))
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ pound bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 1 ¾ cup cheddar (yellow, shredded, divided)
- 2 jalapenos (finely diced with seeds and membranes removed)
- 1 cup heavy cream (plus 2 tablespoons for brushing on top)
- 1 large egg
- scallions (for garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Add the cubed butter and cream cheese. Using a pastry cutter or two forks, combine the ingredients until the mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Add the bacon, jalapenos, and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese. Toss lightly with a fork to combine.
- In a small pitcher or bowl, whisk together the heavy cream and the egg. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. The mixture will be dry but should come together.
- Pour the dough out onto a floured pastry board. Shape the dough into a circle, roughly ¾ - 1 inch thick. Slice into 6-8 wedges. Transfer the pieces to the baking sheet. Brush the tops with heavy cream.
- Bake for 15 minutes until just starting to turn golden brown. Add the remaining ¾ cup shredded cheese to the tops of the scones. Bake for another 2-3 minutes.
- Scones will keep at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Leave a Comment