Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect appetizer. They are spicy, cheesy, and smoky. Make ahead and keep stocked in the freezer for game day, movie night, or just any time.
Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers are spicy, cheese-filled peppers tucked inside a crispy bacon blanket! They are a MUST for game day and are one of my favorite appetizers of all time!
These jalapeno poppers are baked, not fried, and can be completely prepped ahead of time. (See below for step-by-step make-ahead instructions.)
With just four ingredients, these flavor bombs couldn’t be easier to make.
- jalapeno peppers
- cream cheese
- cheddar cheese
- Cut each jalapeno in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes. TIP: Wear disposable plastic gloves when working with spicy peppers. Capsaicin – the ingredient in peppers that makes them spicy – is very irritating to the skin. If you don’t have disposable gloves, wash your hands very thoroughly after touching spicy peppers and avoid touching your face and eyes.
- Combine cream cheese and shredded cheddar cheese. Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese can be substituted for the cheddar if you prefer. Use room temperature cream cheese so it blends smoothly.
- Fill each jalapeno with the cheese mixture.
- Wrap each jalapeno with bacon, fastening with a toothpick if necessary. Use regular-cut bacon, not thick-cut, for this. Regular-cut bacon wraps around the peppers more easily, and thick-cut bacon won’t get crispy during the allotted bake time.
- Bake the peppers until the cheese is oozing and the bacon is brown and crisp. Serve.
- Clean the peppers. Fill with the cheese mixture, and wrap with bacon.
- Arrange the peppers on a sheet pan and place in the freezer to flash freeze for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Place the peppers in a zipper-top bag and freeze for up to three months.
- To bake, remove as many peppers as needed, place on a baking sheet, and bake until the bacon is crisp. Allow 5-10 minutes extra when baking from frozen.
I love keeping a large batch in the freezer and pulling out a handful when I have a craving for these spicy bites.
More appetizer recipes you may enjoy
- Spicy Sausage Cheese Balls with Horseradish Cream
- Brats in a Blanket
- Maple Dijon Bacon Wrapped Smoked Sausage
- Bacon-Wrapped Balsamic Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Mini Sweet Peppers with Goat Cheese
Jalapenos stuffed with two kinds of cheese, wrapped in bacon, and baked until crispy.
- 10 jalapenos
- 8 ounces cream cheese regular or reduced-fat
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon cut in half (do not use thick-cut)
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Cut the jalapenos in half. Remove the seeds and membrane. (Note 1)
Combine cream cheese and shredded cheddar. Blend together until smooth. Fill each jalapeno half with cheese mixture. Wrap each jalapeno with a half slice of bacon.
Place bacon-wrapped jalapenos on a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and a baking rack.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is oozing and the bacon is brown and crisp.
Prepare the jalapenos as directed above. Instead of baking, place the peppers on a sheet pan and flash freeze for 30 minutes or until the peppers are firm. Transfer the peppers to a zipper-top freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the jalapenos on a foil-lined sheet pan fitted with a baking rack. Bake until the bacon is crispy and cheese is bubbly. Allow 5-10 minutes extra baking time when baking from frozen.
- When working with spicy peppers, wear disposable gloves to protect from Capsaicin. Capsaicin is the ingredient in peppers that makes them spicy. It can be very irritating to the skin. If you don't wear gloves, wash your hands very thoroughly and avoid touching your eyes and face.
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below and post a photo on Instagram tagging me @mycasualpantry using hashtag #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making.
Author’s note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been updated.