This creamy taco dip is a staple appetizer in our house - especially during the holidays or on game days. It's easy to whip up, can be made ahead of time, and the toppings can be customized.
I might not be able to convince you that chips and dip qualify as a food group... but I can definitely assure you that this taco dip is GOLD!
I've been making this dip for over 25 years, and it continues to be a family favorite. Every holiday, this dip draws a crowd at the snack table! I often serve up a double batch because it disappears so quickly.
Why you will love this
For more dip favorites, try Caramelized Onion Dip and Bacon Horseradish Dip.
- Cream cheese and sour cream - I use full-fat varieties but low-fat options work just fine, too.
- Chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper provide the traditional taco flavor and a touch of heat.
- Salsa - Use your favorite jarred salsa for ease and convenience. I prefer the smoother texture of restaurant-style salsa over chunky salsa.
- Toppings - Shredded cheese, black olives, and scallions are my go-to garnishes. You can add any of your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, or jalapenos.
See the recipe card for complete instructions and ingredient amounts.
- Add the cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, and spices to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Blend until well combined.
- If time allows, refrigerate overnight so the flavors can blend.
- Spread on a platter and garnish with toppings.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
Tips for making
- Spreading on a platter gives more surface area for the yummy toppings!
- For a festive holiday presentation, arrange red and green bell pepper slices around the edge of the platter.
Try adding this taco dip to any snack table - holiday, game day, or Cinco de Mayo - I'm sure it will be a crowd favorite.
Stand mixer or hand-held mixer | Measuring cups and spoons
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Favorite Taco Dip
- 12 ounces cream cheese (softened to room temperature)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup jarred salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (or cheddar and Monterey Jack)
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 2-3 scallions (sliced)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, salsa, and spices. Mix until combined and light and fluffy.
- If time allows, transfer to a container and refrigerate overnight.
- Spread the dip mixture on a platter. Top with shredded cheese, olives, and scallions. Arrange tortilla chips around the edge of the platter. Serve and enjoy!
- Yields approx. 2 ½ cups.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
This post was originally published in November 2018 and has been updated.
Leave a Comment