This taco dip is a blend of cream cheese, sour cream, and salsa seasoned with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper and topped with black olives, scallions, and cheese. Grab some tortilla chips and enjoy!
I recently confessed my love for dips when I posted my recipe for caramelized onion dip. This taco dip is also one of my all-time favorites. I’ve been making this dip for 25 years, and it is still a family favorite. Every holiday, this dip draws a crowd at the snack table! I often serve up a double batch because it disappears so quickly.
This recipe starts with cream cheese and sour cream. Creamy and perfect for chip dipping! Salsa, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper are added in for that traditional taco flavor. When ready to serve, the dip is spread on a platter and topped with black olives, scallions, and shredded cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses. Spreading the dip on a platter means more surface area to cover with toppings. And it looks pretty too! You can scatter chips around the edge of the platter. Or for a festive Christmas look, arrange red and green pepper slices around the edge.
I use a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment to make this dip. I like the light and fluffy consistency that this method gives the dip. It’s best to refrigerate the dip overnight so all the flavors blend.
My favorite toppings for this dip are black olives, scallions, and shredded cheese. But, there are so many options, such as shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, or diced red onion. I like serving this with scoop tortilla chips because they can hold maximum dip!! But any tortilla chip works fine.
Try adding this taco dip to any snack table – holiday or game day – I’m sure it will be a crowd favorite.
Favorite Taco Dip
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup finely shredded cheddar and Monterey jack blend
- 3 ounces black olives, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese and sour cream. Mix until combined. Add the salsa and mix until well combined and the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Mix until incorporated. Transfer to a container and refrigerate overnight.
- Spread the dip mixture on a platter. Top with olives, scallions, and shredded cheese. Arrange tortilla chips around the edge of the platter. Serve and enjoy!