Everything Bagel Cheese Ball - an easy, make-ahead, appetizer loaded with all your favorite bagel flavors. Perfect for the holidays, parties, or game-day.
Cheese balls may seem old-fashioned or out-dated, but I think they've made a comeback. They are the perfect party food for many reasons:
- Make-ahead - cheese balls are ideal as a make-ahead appetizer. The flavors have a chance to blend together and cheese balls will keep for several days in the refrigerator.
- Crowd-pleasing - cheese balls can feed a crowd which makes them perfect for holiday gatherings or game day parties.
- Endless flavor combinations - use your favorite cheeses, seasonings, or add-ins like bacon, scallions, olives, or nuts.
- Festive and seasonal - shape the cheese balls into Christmas trees, pumpkins, or mini balls for individual-sized snacks.
So, today I'm sharing this recipe for a bagel-inspired cheese ball. With cream cheese, cheddar cheese, scallions, and - of course - everything bagel seasoning, this cheese ball has all of my favorite bagel flavors.
Tips for making cheese balls
Cheese balls couldn't be simpler to make. Blend room temperature ingredients, shape, chill, and roll in the seasoning mixture. Voila, your party centerpiece awaits!
- Room temperature cream cheese - the cream cheese needs to be softened to combine smoothly with the other ingredients.
- Plastic wrap - the best tool for shaping the cheese ball. Spoon the mixture onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Pull the wrap up around the mixture, and with your hands, shape the mixture into a ball.
- Chill - I prefer to chill the cheese ball before rolling it in the coating. It only takes 30-60 minutes, depending on how soft the cream cheese is. Firming it up a bit makes rolling in the coating much easier. Once coated, you can serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator and remove one hour before you plan to serve.
- Serving - Cheese balls can be served with crackers, apple or pear slices, thin crostini or bagel chips.
Having a delicious cheese ball recipe in your arsenal is perfect for this busy time of year. Christmas, New Year's Eve, and game days are all occasions that will benefit from a cheesy, feed-a-crowd appetizer.
- Dorito Cheese Ball
- Mini Cheese Balls with Fig and Prosciutto
- Everything Bagel Crackers with Whipped Scallion Cream Cheese
- Smoked Gouda Pimento Cheese
- Chocolate Chip Mascarpone Dip
Everything Bagel Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓-1/2 cup everything bagel seasoning for coating (recipe follows)
Everything Bagel Seasoning (double recipe)
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons white sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons coarse or flaked sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. add the cream cheese and process until smooth. Add the shredded cheddar cheese and mix until combined. Mix in the scallions and garlic powder.
- Spoon the mixture onto a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap the plastic around the cheese mixture and shape it into a ball. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the everything bagel seasoning. (Store-bought seasoning can also be used.) Add all of the bagel seasoning ingredients to a small bowl. Stir to combine. Pour ⅓ cup of seasoning onto a plate. (Add more if needed.) Roll the chilled cheese ball in the mixture, coating it completely.
- Serve the cheese ball immediately or cover and chill, removing from the refrigerator one hour before serving.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.