Easy Tuna Salad - this versatile recipe can be used for sandwiches, salads, or appetizers. All you need is four ingredients and five minutes!
Tuna salad is a classic go-to for quick and easy lunches. There are as many ways to serve tuna salad as there are ways to customize the flavors. This tuna salad recipe is extremely versatile, so it's sure to please the whole family.
Canned tuna is sold in several varieties. Which variety you buy really comes down to personal preference, but let's walk through some of the options.
Water vs. oil-packed tuna
Tuna comes either packed in water or oil. Oil packed has far greater calories than water-packed, although many feel oil-packed has more flavor. Water packed tuna is rich in omega-3 fats which are considered the "healthy" fat. I always use water-packed tuna because I don't want the added fat. You can try them both and decide which one you like best.
White vs. light tuna
White tuna refers to Albacore tuna. It's whiter in color and has a meatier texture. Light tuna is darker in color and has more flavor than white tuna. The texture of white tuna is comparable to chicken breast, while light tuna is comparable to chicken thighs. I'm a white meat chicken kind-of-gal, so similarily I prefer solid white Albacore tuna. Again, it's a matter of personal preference.
My favorite tuna salad
This tuna salad is my favorite go-to recipe. It's simple with mayonnaise and lemon pepper and tarragon for seasoning. This base recipe can be customized with add-ins such as:
- diced celery
- diced shallot or red onion
- pickle relish
- capers would be delicious too
Ways to serve
There are so many delicious ways to serve tuna salad:
- on toasted bread, open-faced or sandwich-style
- add lettuce and tomato for a fresh sandwich
- grilled tuna melt - add a slice of cheese and grill as you would a grilled cheese
- open-face tuna melt - add cheese and toast under the broiler. Cheddar, Swiss, and Havarti are all delicious.
- add a scoop of tuna salad on top of a bed of greens for a light lunch
- scoop the tuna salad into a hollowed-out tomato or bell pepper
- add small spoonfuls to endive leaves for a fancy-looking appetizer
Tuna salad is a classic go-to lunch. Whether you serve this sandwich-style or as a salad, this easy recipe is simple yet full of flavor. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below or post a picture on Instagram and tag me @mycasualpantry or #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making!
More quick and easy recipes
- Loaded Egg Salad with Bacon
- Pita Wrap with Hummus and Veggies
- Easy Cucumber Canapes
- Prosciutto Melon Basil Skewers with Chili Lime Salt
- Watermelon and Feta Salad with Jalapeno Lime Syrup
Easy Tuna Salad
- 1 can solid white tuna packed in water 5-ounce can, drained
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Add the drained tuna to a small bowl. Add the mayonnaise and seasonings and stir to combine.