Chorizo Huevos Rancheros – this recipe is my version of a classic hearty breakfast. With lots of flavor and texture, this dish of tortillas, beans, chorizo, and eggs is a great weekend breakfast.
If I go out for breakfast and Huevos Rancheros is on the menu, I will order it. It’s one of my favorite breakfasts. And during a recent trip to Boston, I enjoyed the most incredible Huevos Rancheros – the inspiration for this dish.
What is Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros translates to “rancher’s eggs”. It is a hearty breakfast dish traditionally consisting of tortillas, refried beans, eggs, and a spicy tomato sauce.
My version of huevos rancheros isn’t necessarily traditional – I’ve added chorizo, cotija cheese, along with garnishes like avocado and scallions.
Ingredients for a hearty breakfast
- tortillas – both flour or corn tortillas work great. I like to char or grill the tortillas for added texture and flavor.
- refried beans – I like using black refried beans, but any variety you love can be used.
- Mexican chorizo – I LOVE chorizo – it packs in so much flavor. This is optional – the chorizo can be omitted for a vegetarian option.
- eggs – I prefer scrambled eggs on huevos rancheros, but the eggs can be prepared however you like.
- cotija cheese – this salty Mexican cheese is delicious with the other ingredients.
- avocado – avocado adds a creaminess and great color to this dish.
- salsa – salsa provides the tomato component in this dish and pairs so well with the scrambled eggs.
- scallions, cilantro, or parsley – used for garnish and a fresh finish.
Making Huevos Rancheros
This dish has several components and steps but none of them are difficult. Brown the chorizo, heat the refried beans, scramble the eggs, and char the tortillas. Then, it’s just a matter of layering the ingredients and garnishing.
- I use canned refried beans for convenience. Just heat before spreading on the tortillas. Of course you can make your own if you have a favorite recipe.
- For 4 servings, I used 4 scrambled eggs – one egg for two tortillas. If you prefer fried eggs, increase the number of eggs to 8 so each tortilla can be topped with one fried egg.
- Customize the garnishes to fit your preferences. Other options include pickled jalapenos, sour cream, lime wedges, pico de gallo, and Monterey jack cheese.
Chorizo Huevos Rancheros is a hearty breakfast but is also great for lunch or dinner. This recipe is a favorite of mine, and I’m sure your family will love them too. If you try this recipe, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
Similar recipes you may enjoy
- Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
- French Onion Breakfast Casserole
- Roasted Potato Hash with Chorizo and Eggs
A hearty breakfast dish of tortillas, chorizo, beans, and eggs.
- 16 ounces Mexican chorizo
- 16 ounces refried beans
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 8 tortillas, small
- 4 ounces cotija cheese crumbled
- 3-4 scallions chopped, for garnish
- salsa for garnish
In a skillet set over medium heat, cook the chorizo for 5-7 minutes or until brown, breaking the meat apart as it cooks. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small pan, heat the refried beans.
Using a grill, griddle, or skillet set over medium heat, char the tortillas on both sides, 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy cream, and a pinch or two of pepper. Add to a non-stick skillet set over medium-low heat. Cook the eggs, stirring gently, until softly scrambled, approx. 2-4 minutes.
Build the huevos rancheros: spread each tortilla with refried beans, top with chorizo, cheese, scrambled eggs. Top with more cheese, salsa, and scallions.
Serve immediately - two tortillas per serving.