Chocolate Caramel Saltine Toffee is a scrumptious sweet treat with a cracker crunch. Topped with chocolate caramel squares this toffee is decadent and so delicious.
Saltine Toffee is a decadent sweet treat. While this toffee is popular during the holidays, I enjoy making this candy any time of year. With only four ingredients, this toffee is so easy to make and can be prepared in less than 20 minutes.
What is Saltine Toffee?
Saltine Toffee – also known as Christmas Crack – starts with saltine crackers which are covered with a toffee mixture made from butter and sugar. The toffee-covered crackers are baked until golden brown and bubbly. The candied crackers are then topped with a layer of chocolate. Traditionally, melted chocolate is used as the top layer. But, for this version, I used chocolate caramel squares for added decadence – as if this toffee isn’t decadent enough!
This recipe makes 24 squares of toffee. Twenty-four saltine crackers fit perfectly on a quarter sheet pan. (This recipe can easily be doubled using a half sheet pan.) I used two kinds of chocolate caramel squares – milk chocolate and dark chocolate with sea salt. Both are delicious, although I really adore dark chocolate… especially with a hint of salt.
I like having a batch of saltine toffee on hand to stick in lunch boxes, to cure my inevitable mid-afternoon sweet tooth, or to add to a weekend football snack spread. Always perfect at the holidays too, this toffee is a wonderful addition to a cookie platter and makes a delicious hostess gift.
If your sweet tooth is as big as mine, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see what you’re making in your kitchen!
More sweet treats to try
- Salted Dark Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Fudge-Filled Peanut Butter Bars
- Chocolate Truffles
- Molasses Cookies and Cinnamon Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Chip Mascarpone Dip
- Heath Bar Poke Cake
Chocolate Caramel Saltine Toffee
- 1 stick salted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 24 saltine crackers
- 24 squares Ghiradelli chocolate caramel squares dark sea salt or milk chocolate, or a combination
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a quarter sheet pan with aluminum foil or a silicone baking mat. Arrange saltine crackers to completely cover the bottom of the sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan placed over medium-low heat, combine butter and sugar. Heat until melted and cook for an additional 3 minutes or until bubbly and slightly thickened. Pour the butter/sugar mixture over the saltine crackers, spreading evenly over the crackers.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove pan from oven and let pan cool for about 2 minutes.
- Place a chocolate caramel square on top of each saltine cracker. (The chocolate will melt and soften slightly which will help it adhere to the toffee.) Let the toffee cool until the chocolate has firmed back up. Cut into squares, cutting around each chocolate caramel square. Store in an airtight container.