Heath Bar Poke Cake is a rich chocolate cake soaked with a sweet, caramel mixture and topped with Cool whip and crushed heath bars. So easy and even more delicious!
Poke cakes are one of the easiest cakes to make, especially with the added convenience of a boxed cake mix. And, the flavor options are endless.
This Heath bar version is a chocolate cake infused with lots of caramel flavor, frosted with Cool Whip, and garnished with Heath candy bars. This cake is SO DELICIOUS!
What is a poke cake?
A poke cake is a sheet cake that is soaked with a sweet mixture immediately after baking. Holes are poked all over the surface of the cake to help it absorb the sweet liquid, creating a super flavorful and moist cake. Poke cakes are usually frosted with whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping, like Cool Whip. Then, decorate the cake with sprinkles, a drizzle of chocolate or caramel, or chopped candy and nuts.
With just a few ingredients, this cake comes together easily.
- chocolate cake mix - prepared according to package directions
- sweetened condensed milk
- caramel sauce/syrup
- cool whip
- Heath candy bars
How to prepare
- Mix and bake the cake according to the package directions, using a 9x13 pan.
- Meanwhile, mix together the sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce.
- Immediately after baking, poke holes all over the cake using the end of a wooden spoon. Pour the caramel mixture evenly over the top of the cake and refrigerate for at least one hour. NOTE: You can also use a fork to poke holes in the cake. With smaller pockets, allow extra chill time for the cake to absorb all of the caramel mixture.
- Frost the chilled cake with Cool whip and sprinkle with crushed Heath candy bars. Serve with an extra drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to five days.
More flavor options
It's easy to customize poke cakes with your favorite flavors. Simply change up the cake flavor, the syrup flavor, and the toppings. Some of my favorites include:
- Ice cream sundae - use white or chocolate cake with chocolate sauce in place of the caramel. Garnish the cool whip with sprinkles, nuts, and a cherry.
- Dulce de leche - use a white or yellow cake mix and the same caramel mixture. Garnish the cool whip with chocolate caramel candy bars.
- Turtle - use chocolate cake, caramel sauce, and garnish the cool whip with more caramel sauce and pecans.
- Cookies and Cream - use chocolate cake and chocolate sauce in place of the caramel. Garnish the Cool whip with crushed chocolate sandwich cookies.
More chocolate recipes to try
- Salted Chocolate Butterscotch Fudge
- Chocolate Caramel Saltine Toffee
- Salted Dark Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to get the latest recipes and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Heath Bar Poke Cake
- 15.25 ounces boxed chocolate cake mix (plus ingredients on the box)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup caramel sauce (plus extra for topping)
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 2 Heath toffee bars (chopped (or 10 miniature bars))
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Bake in a 9x13 inch pan as directed on the package.
- Meanwhile, combine the sweetened condensed milk and caramel sauce and stir until well incorporated.
- When the cake is done, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the cake. Pour the caramel mixture evenly over the top so that it seeps down into the holes. Refrigerate the cake (uncovered) for at least one hour.
- Spread the Cool Whip over the top of the cake and sprinkle with the chopped Heath bars.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.