This simple 3 ingredient Oreo cake is the perfect fuss-free dessert. With easy shortcuts and a no-bake attitude, you will be making this delicious recipe over and over again.
You will love this
- 3 ingredients - These shortcut ingredients are store-bought and couldn't be easier to assemble. Cookies and cream is a classic combination and is always a crowd favorite. For another creamy layered confection, try this Gingersnap Icebox Cake.
- No bake - Everyone loves a fuss-free, no-bake dessert. Simple and easy recipes are always a winner, especially when the result is a delicious sweet layered cake.
- Frozen - This cake can be stored in the freezer or the refrigerator and keeps well for several days. You can serve this frozen, but I prefer to thaw for 15-20 minutes before enjoying.
Ingredients and substitutions
It simply doesn't get any easier than this 3 ingredient Oreo cake. Yes... Just 3 ingredients!
- Store-bought pound cake - Both fresh or frozen varieties work great in this recipe. I made this cake with classic vanilla pound cake, but marble or chocolate would be equally delicious.
- Whipped topping - For ease, I love the convenience of this creamy topping in the tub! You can substitute with freshly whipped cream by whipping 3 cups of heavy whipping cream with ¾ cup powdered sugar.
- Chocolate sandwich cookies - I use Oreos but you can substitute chocolate wafer cookies, vanilla wafers, or gingersnaps.
How to make
- Remove the pound cake from its pan and line the pan with plastic wrap leaving plenty of overhang.
- Slice the pound cake horizontally into thirds to create this triple layer dessert. PRO TIP: Frozen pound cake does NOT need to be thawed. It slices easily and the firm cake is easy to work with.
- Crush the cookies and fold them into one (8-ounce) container of whipped topping. TIP: Put the cookies in a zipper-top bag and use a rolling pin to crush the cookies. It's a great way to release some frustration!
- Place the bottom layer of cake in the pan and top with half of the whipped topping mixture.
- Top with the middle layer of cake and the other half of the whipped topping.
- Top with the third layer of cake and fold the plastic wrap over the top.
- Freeze for 1 hour until firm. Freezing the cake makes it easy to unmold and frost.
- Remove the cake from the pan, unwrap, and place on a serving platter.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining whipped topping. Garnish the top with more crushed Oreos.
How to store
- Freezer - After frosting, place the cake in the freezer until the icing is firm - 30-60 minutes. Wrap with plastic wrap and store for up to one week. To serve, thaw for 15-20 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
- Refrigerator - Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and store for 4-5 days. Slice and serve.
Oreo sandwich cookies are available in a multitude of flavors and seasonal varieties. Swap in different cookies to customize this cake for any occasion.
- Valentine's Day - Red velvet Oreos
- St. Patrick's Day - Mint Oreos
- Birthday - Birthday Cake Oreos (funfetti)
- Easter - Lemon or Carrot Cake Oreos
- Halloween - Peanut Butter Oreos
- Summer - Smores or Chocolate Marshmallow Oreos
It's fun to make small-size desserts. To build individual trifles, cut the pound cake into cubes and layer all of the ingredients in small glasses.
More sweet treats
Craving more? Subscribe to My Casual Pantry to receive the latest recipe and ideas sent directly to your inbox.
Simple 3 Ingredient Oreo Cake
- 10-16 ounces pound cake (bakery-fresh or frozen (Note 1))
- 16 ounces frozen whipped topping (like Cool Whip, thawed)
- 24 chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos, divided)
- Remove the cake from the tin. Line the tin with plastic wrap, leaving plenty of overhang. Slice the cake horizontally into thirds. (Note 2)
- Crush 16 cookies (Note 3) and fold them into one tub of whipped topping.
- Place one layer of cake in the bottom of the tin. Top with one-half of the whipped topping mixture. Top with another layer of cake and the remaining whipped topping. Top with the final layer of cake and wrap with the plastic wrap.
- Freeze for 1 hour until firm. Unwrap the cake and place it on a serving platter.
- Frost the top and sides with the remaining tub of whipped topping. Garnish the top with the remaining 8 Oreos, crushed.
- To store, cover with plastic wrap and keep in either the freezer or the refrigerator. If storing in the freezer, let the cake thaw for 15-20 minutes before serving. (Note 4)
- Frozen pound cake is often sold in 10 to 16-ounce loaves. Any of these sizes work fine in this recipe. Bakery-fresh pound cake is typically sold in 16-ounce loaves.
- Frozen pound cake does NOT need to be thawed before slicing and assembling. The frozen cake slices easily and is easy to work with.
- Place the cookies in a zipper-top bag and crush the cookies using a rolling pin.
- Freezer - After frosting, place the cake in the freezer until the icing is firm - 30-60 minutes. Wrap with plastic wrap and store for up to one week. To serve, thaw for 15-20 minutes. Refrigerator - Wrap loosely with plastic wrap and store for 4-5 days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Author's note: This post was originally published in September 2020 and has been updated.
Leave a Comment