Applesauce Cinnamon Jello is a delicious combination of cherry jello, applesauce, and cinnamon imperials. This jello is the perfect accompaniment for roasted turkey or ham.
Applesauce Cinnamon Jello is one of those recipes that conjures up holiday memories for me. We always had this jello on our Thanksgiving table - and as a child, I preferred it over cranberry sauce. It's wonderfully sweet and balances all of the heavy, rich side dishes. This jello pairs wonderfully with turkey and ham but is delicious with chicken or pork as well.
Melted cinnamon imperials infuse the jello and applesauce with the most delicious flavor. It only takes minutes to mix together this jello salad, but it does require time to chill and set. So this jello is ideal as a make-ahead dish.
Applesauce Cinnamon Jello
This jello is so easy to make and only has three ingredients - applesauce, cherry jello, and cinnamon imperials. The cinnamon candies are the ones found in the baking section at the supermarket, near the cake and cookie decorations. This recipe can easily be doubled and it keeps well in the refrigerator for several days. This recipe takes only minutes to make but does need to chill for 6-8 hours until firm.
Start by adding the jello to a heat-proof bowl. Then, in a small saucepan, add the water and cinnamon candies. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring continually to ensure the candies fully dissolve. Gently pour the hot liquid over the jello, again stirring continually until jello is fully dissolved. Next, stir in applesauce and mix until fully incorporated.
Pour the jello into a serving bowl and refrigerate uncovered. It is important not to cover the jello until it is cool. The steam from the warm jello needs to escape so that it doesn't form condensation on top of the jello. Once cool, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
This dish always takes the place of cranberry sauce on my Thanksgiving table. While this jello has a very festive appearance, it is equally delicious all year long.
- Serve alongside turkey or chicken, ham, or pork.
- Add this jello to a panini layered with leftover Thanksgiving turkey and dressing.
- Serve as a light dessert.
More accompanying recipes
- Roasted Cranberries with Maple Syrup
- Sausage Cornbread Dressing
- Mashed Potatoes with Caramelized Shallots and Sage Brown Butter
- Roasted Green Beans with Orange Butter and Crispy Pancetta
- Maple Ginger Roasted Carrots
More salad recipes to try
- Harvest Salad with Arugula, Apples and Blue Cheese
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
Applesauce Cinnamon Jello
- ¼ cup cinnamon imperials
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-3 ounce package cherry jello
- 2 cups applesauce
- Add the jello to a heat-proof mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, add the water and cinnamon candies. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring to ensure the candies fully dissolve. Pour the boiling water mixture over the jello. Stir constantly until the jello is fully dissolved. Fold in the applesauce and mix thoroughly.
- Gently, pour jello mixture into a serving bowl. Refrigerate uncovered until cool. Then, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep refrigerated. Jello will keep for several days.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.
Thanks for sharing!
If you try this recipe, please leave a comment and rating below. Please post a photo on Instagram and tag me @mycasualpantry and use hashtag #mycasualpantry. I love to see what you are making!
Author's note: This post was originally published in October 2018 and has been updated.