Harvest Salad with Arugula, Apples and Blue Cheese is the perfect fall salad for your Thanksgiving table. This salad is full of flavors and textures and dressed with a maple dijon vinaigrette.
With all of the heavy, rich dishes served at Thanksgiving, fresh salads are always a great addition to the holiday menu. Salads are very versatile - just add seasonal flavors - like fruit or roasted vegetables - and a variety of textures - like nuts, dried fruit, and cheese.
What is in Harvest Salad?
- Greens - I used arugula but a mixture of arugula and kale is delicious too.
- Apples - I like a blend of red and green apples for the color, and granny smiths add a nice tartness. Pears are a nice addition also.
- Red onion - Red onion provides mild onion flavor and great color. Red onions are my favorite to use in salads.
- Blue Cheese - Blue cheese provides a creamy and tangy bite that pairs well with the other ingredients. Goat cheese is another great option.
- Walnuts - Toasting the walnuts enhances their flavor. Pecans are delicious in this salad too.
- Dried cherries - Cherries provide texture, color, and a sweet note to this salad. You can also add dried cranberries or apricots.
- Vinaigrette - The flavors of maple syrup and dijon mustard pair beautifully with the other ingredients.
It's best to assemble this salad shortly before serving. A squeeze of lemon juice on the apple slices will keep them from turning brown. I like to drizzle half of the vinaigrette over the salad before serving, reserving the remainder to serve alongside.
This recipe can easily be doubled (or tripled) for larger holiday gatherings. This salad is also perfect for a weekday lunch or a light dinner - just add grilled chicken. If you add this salad to your holiday menu or your weekly routine, please leave me a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry so I can see your creation.
More salads recipes you may enjoy
- Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Corn Panzanella Salad with Garlic Toast Croutons
- Farro Pea and Romano Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Greek Chickpea Salad
Harvest Salad with Arugula, Apples and Blue Cheese
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ½ gala apple, or similar sliced thin
- ½ granny smith apple sliced thin
- 2 slices red onion rings separated
- ¼ cup walnuts lightly toasted
- 1 ounce blue cheese crumbled
- ⅛ cup dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or similar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large shallow bowl, layer the arugula, sliced apples, red onion, walnut, blue cheese, and cherries.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, combine the vinegar, dijon mustard, and maple syrup. Drizzle in the oil while whisking and mix until emulsified. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dress the salad with ½ of the vinaigrette and serve the remaining vinaigrette on the side.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.