Turkey Sausage Stuffed Sweet Peppers - colorful bell peppers stuffed with turkey sausage, rice, and mozzarella cheese. A satisfying one-dish meal. Perfect as a make-ahead to bake when ready to eat.
As delicious as they are colorful, turkey sausage stuffed sweet peppers are an all-in-one meal. This is a filling and satisfying dish, yet on the lighter side with turkey sausage and brown rice. The marinara sauce brings the filling together and melty cheese is a must!
This sausage and rice filling is a big hit in our family and is often requested as a side dish. So I started baking the peppers on top of the extra filling. This way, every serving of stuffed pepper comes with an extra spoonful of sausage and rice.
Tips for preparing
- Cut the peppers in half from stem to bottom, using three peppers for six servings. Bake the peppers on top of the remaining sausage/rice mixture.
- Alternatively, for heartier appetites, fill six whole bell peppers with the sausage and rice stuffing. To bake, spread the remaining marinara sauce in the dish and arrange the stuffed peppers on top.
- Bake the peppers for 50-60 minutes or until heated through.
- To make ahead: stuff the sweet peppers, arrange in the baking dish, and refrigerate until ready to bake. Allow the casserole dish to come to room temperature before baking. Leftovers reheat well also.
Sausage stuffed sweet peppers are perfect for weeknight meals. Prep ahead of time and bake when needed. Serve these peppers with freshly baked bread and/or a salad. Garlic bread is delicious also!
- Sheet Pan Bacon Ranch Chicken
- Orecchiette with Sausage and Kale
- Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- Skillet Sausage and Shells
Turkey Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 1 pound Hot or Sweet Italian turkey sausage or chicken or pork sausage
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- ⅔ cup finely diced onion
- 3 whole bell peppers assorted colors
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 24 ounces jarred marinara sauce or homemade
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Meanwhile, prep the brown rice and sausage. Cook the brown rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cook and crumble the sausage over medium heat until cooked through. Drain the sausage on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. In the same skillet, add a drizzle of oil if needed and saute the diced bell pepper and onion until slightly softened. Set aside.
- Slice the bell peppers in half from the stem down to the bottom, leaving the stem intact. Remove the seeds and membrane. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sausage, rice, sauteed onions and peppers, mozzarella cheese, and ½ of the marinara sauce. Add oregano and season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Fill the bell pepper halves with the sausage and rice mixture.
- To the remaining sausage and rice mixture, add the remaining marinara sauce. Stir to combine and spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Nestle the stuffed pepper halves on top. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until heated through and peppers are crisp-tender. Top the peppers with sliced mozzarella and bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve and store leftovers in an airtight container.