A slice and bake butter cookie, Santa's Whiskers Cookies are dotted with pecans, candied red and green cherries, and rolled in coconut.
On the 3rd day of Christmas, My Casual Pantry baked for me...
Santa's Whiskers Cookies
Santa's Whiskers Cookies are one of those recipes that takes me right back to childhood. These were one of my mother's favorite Christmas cookies. She made them every year. When I was young, I liked these cookies because of the fun name - Santa's Whiskers, which refers to the coconut that the cookie dough is rolled in. I still love these cookies because they are so festive. They are rich and buttery and are studded with pecans and red and green candied cherries. So delicious!
Making the Cookies
This is a butter cookie and the dough comes together quickly. A stand mixer works perfectly to cream the butter and sugar. Mix in milk and vanilla and then the dry ingredients. Add in chopped pecans and chopped red and green candied cherries. This is such a pretty dough dotted with the bright red and green cherries!
Shape the dough into logs, roll in coconut, and chill for 8 hours. I usually refrigerate the dough overnight. Allowing time to chill cookie dough can sometimes be frustrating, but with all the baking happening at this time of year, it's easy to plan around it. Make two or three cookie doughs that require chilling one day and bake them the next.
Once chilled, the dough slices so easily. It's important to cut even slices for even baking. The firm, chilled dough makes this a piece of cake (or cookie)!!
These cookies make a very pretty addition to any holiday cookie platter. Serve these cookies with a cup of coffee - perfect for dunking too! Happy baking!
Santa's Whiskers Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon rum or vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup chopped red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Blend in the milk and rum or vanilla extract. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until combined. Fold in chopped cherries and chopped pecans.
- Form the dough into two logs, each 2 inches in diameter. Roll the logs in coconut. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the cookies 1/4 inch thick. Place cookie dough on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly brown.