Chocolate Pistachio Cookies are delicious buttery slice and bake cookies studded with dark chocolate and pistachios. Refrigerate, then slice and bake, or freeze for a later time.
Chocolate and Pistachio Cookies
Chocolate and pistachio cookies combine two delicious holiday flavors. I love dark chocolate with the salty bite of the pistachios. And pistachios have a pretty green festive color.
These cookies start with a shortbread dough. Filled with chopped chocolate and pistachios, the dough is formed into logs and rolled in more chopped pistachios. Refrigerate overnight, then slice and bake. These cookies bake up buttery and tender.
Slice and bake cookies are wonderful because they aren't fussy. The dough can be made one day and baked the next. One of my favorite holiday baking tips is to set aside one day to make several batches of dough and then set aside another day as a baking day. This is an easy and efficient way to bake several batches of cookies.
- Refrigerate the dough - slice and bake cookie dough needs to be refrigerated but it can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days before baking. Bake the cookies when you have time.
- Freeze the dough - slice and bake cookie dough can also be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap tightly before freezing. I prefer to wrap the dough in parchment and then again in plastic wrap or a ziplock bag. When ready to bake, thaw the dough in the refrigerator, slice and bake.
- Freeze the baked cookies - the baked cookies also freeze well. Cool completely and wrap tightly and package in an airtight ziplock bag or container. Freeze to up to 3 months.
- Large batch - this recipe makes 4 to 4 ½ dozen cookies. That's a lot of cookies for one batch which is especially helpful during the holidays when you are doing a high volume of baking.
- Holiday baking - the ease of slice and bake cookies makes them ideal for all of your holiday baking needs: treats for school parties, cookie swaps, neighborhood gatherings, church potlucks, cookie gifts and more.
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies are delicious for Christmas gifts, entertaining, or simply indulging. If you try this recipe, please leave a comment below and tag me on Instagram @mycasualpantry.
More Christmas sweets
- Frosted Christmas M&M Cookie Bars
- Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies
- 12 Days of Christmas Cookies – Recap (2018)
Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chopped
- 1 cup chopped pistachios divided
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Blend in the milk and vanilla extract. Slowly add the flour mixture. Mix until combined. Fold in chopped chocolate and ½ cup chopped pistachios.
- Form the dough into two logs, each approx. 2 inches in diameter. Roll the logs in the remaining ½ cup chopped pistachios. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for 8 hours or up to 3-4 days. (Alternatively, the dough can be frozen for up to 3 months.)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice the cookies ¼ inch thick. Place cookie dough on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes until just set. Cool on the sheet pan for 2-3 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Nutritional information is an estimate and will vary depending upon the exact amounts and specific ingredients used.